On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:37:49PM +0200, Carlos Sánchez de La Lama wrote: >>> my (not very big) root partition is almost full, even after >>> garbage-collecting. I am trying to move the store to a separate >>> partition, but this is problematic as you need the store at boot time >>> for the system utilities (and to mount partitions, actually). >> >> I tried to do it recently but failed. My understanding is that it's >> impossible, but I may be wrong. > >After giving it some more thinking, I also think this is not >possible. The kernel image itself is in the store (and must be, because >you can have several system generations, each using a different >kernel). Same with initrd images. > >I have finally moved the whole root to a bigger disk, not much different >to moving the store as root size (aside from the store) is rather small. I think it is impossible now but to achieve that you'd need only: 1] to store /gnu/store on separate partition (so grub will find it with its --search) 2] and have some bind mounts ready in initrd stage. It would be nice to have more flexibility in this area. Best regards, S_W