unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
@ 2016-08-13 10:46 David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2016-08-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

> All: Please share your experiences, positive and negative, with project
> management frameworks. Ideally it covers patches, discussions,
> bugtracking and is accessible and usable at least via web browser.

I think a few people have said they like github, but it gets objected to
because of certain reasons and I do not want to start a discussion on
those.

I did find a project called gogs (go git service) which has an ui just like
github's. Maybe this would be a solution worth exploring.

As for the "I like to use email thing": I like to reply via email to PR's and
issues too, the only downside I can think of for people liking the email
workflow would be creating a PR involves pressing the "Create PR"
button in the web gui. (If I haven't thought of other downsides please
let me know ;)
Fetching peoples patchsets through git is simple, and there is
the possiblility of adding forks of people that contribute regularly as
git remotes (to make fetching and review even simpler).

The only thing I don't like about github/gogs from an UI perspective is the
merge button. The merge button creates unnecessary merge commits
which I don't like, and many projects agree to not use the merge button.
There is no way to disable it, but I think that disabling it in gogs would be
trivial.

[0] https://gogs.io

* Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
@ 2016-08-16  8:37 David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2016-08-16  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> Am 15.08.2016 um 17:18 schrieb Alex Vong:
>> Of course, there are other alternatives, such as gogs,
>
> The gogs.io website is using a lot of external content, namely from
> google and jquery. The FAQ is hosted a another external side, discus.

I don't understand how it's relevant that gogs.io makes use of jquery
and google analytics? It makes sense to not reinvent the wheel and
use 3rd party components for common tasks IMO.

> Gogs is not even self-hosting gogs but hosted at github.

That's because github is awesome. That says more about github
than gogs IMO ;-)

> gogs.io does not even state which license it has ("Open Source It all at guithub"),

It says MIT at the bottom of the page. A link takes you directly to the
COPYING file in the github repo.

> So there would be at least some work to be done to fulfil the "B"
> criteria "Does not report visitors to other organizations"
>
> (I have to admit that I did not check this for gitlab, though.)

What's the "B" criteria?

I don't like gitlab's UI as much as github's, but I can't constructively
point the finger at what it is. But I'll get used to it just as I got used
to sending patches via email... ;-)

* Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
@ 2016-08-13 10:18 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-13 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

At some point I wanted to reply to the "Subject: none" thread Pjotr
opened. It kept growing and growing, and hit the length where I don't
feel like I want to add to it.
After many years I switched to notmuch for emails, because it all just
sucks. And even with notmuch, it just sucks: I apply tags to emails,
sort emails with tags which are relevant, but it doesn't fix email
itself. And that's the biggest problem I see here. Our communication is
based on a patchset of ancient technologies which require figuring out
how to fix their flaws by choosing the best user agent which does more
than just reading and sending email.
In my opinion we need something which provides *optional* email access
or emacs interface if you want that, but in general uses a framework
with sorting and management built in.
Email does the worst job. Email makes me personally angry. If I have to
tell someone to use a different mail user agent because theirs is
"obviously broken", the problem is not with the application. It's with
Email itself. I could go on about email and corporate networks with
statistics, but this is not my intention here.

On QA, this is okay. We need that like every operating system. As long
as we keep a culture of discussion alive and can talk about problems and
manage to respect our own code of conduct and solve problems, we are
doing a good job.

These are my comments on the part of the thread I've read.
But I want this to be an inspiration for some questions and looking for
a solution to them.

Ludovic: You said you tried various alternatives for patches/bugs etc
tracking in the past 3(?) years of Guix. Can you please summarize what
you remember about the applications you tested, positive and negative
results?

All: Please share your experiences, positive and negative, with project
management frameworks. Ideally it covers patches, discussions,
bugtracking and is accessible and usable at least via web browser.

I want us all to gather experiences, feedback, and ideas and see which
compromises we have to make to get to the point where we solved this big
problem. We'll definitely have to make compromises.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org