unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Container howto for X11?
@ 2016-07-03 18:40 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-07-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Is there a container howto for X11 applications? I would like to run
the browser in a Guix container. Fun with a serious note.

Pj.

* Re: Container howto for X11?
@ 2016-07-03 22:12 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-07-03 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:
> Is there a container howto for X11 applications? I would like to run
> the browser in a Guix container. Fun with a serious note.

If you share the X11 socket file and set $DISPLAY to the right value,
then you should be able to make that happen:

    guix environment --container --network --share=/tmp/.X11-unix
--ad-hoc icecat
    export DISPLAY=":0.0"
    icecat

Do note that the above code gives icecat full access to the X11 server
and the host's network interfaces, so it's not exactly a locked down
environment.

Perhaps we could use a command line switch to automatically do this
sort of thing.

- Dave

* Re: Container howto for X11?
@ 2016-07-04  6:29   ` Pjotr Prins