unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GuixSD artwork
@ 2016-02-14 17:08 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-02-14 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

finally I tried out GuixSD on a spare machine, and I must say, I am impressed!

I have two questions concerning the artwork; I did a "guix pull" before
reconfiguring, so these should concern the current state:
- The logo on the grub screen has a checkerboard pattern in the background;
  I think we discussed about it months ago, and I was under the impression
  that this had been replaced.
- The xfce background image is a mouse or so on blue; did we not have a
  special GuixSD background?

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: GuixSD artwork
@ 2016-02-15  0:59 ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-02-15  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge writes:

> Hello,
>
> finally I tried out GuixSD on a spare machine, and I must say, I am impressed!
>
> I have two questions concerning the artwork; I did a "guix pull" before
> reconfiguring, so these should concern the current state:
> - The logo on the grub screen has a checkerboard pattern in the background;
>   I think we discussed about it months ago, and I was under the impression
>   that this had been replaced.

Why would we drop the checkerboard pattern again?  I like it a lot!

> - The xfce background image is a mouse or so on blue; did we not have a
>   special GuixSD background?

Yes, a nice GuixSD background by default might be nice.

> Thanks,
>
> Andreas

* Re: GuixSD artwork
@ 2016-02-15  9:23   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-02-15  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 04:59:17PM -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Why would we drop the checkerboard pattern again?  I like it a lot!

That of course is a question of taste; I am not so fond of it.
But my message was not to discuss matters of taste (which according
to German and French sayings is impossible). I seem to recall that
the pattern was simply an artefact of the program used to create
the png from the svg, and that it had been discussed and corrected.

> Yes, a nice GuixSD background by default might be nice.

And I also seem to recall that it was there before; or was that only
in ratpoison and not in xfce?

Andreas

* Re: GuixSD artwork
@ 2016-02-21 22:21     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-21 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 04:59:17PM -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
>> Why would we drop the checkerboard pattern again?  I like it a lot!
>
> That of course is a question of taste; I am not so fond of it.
> But my message was not to discuss matters of taste (which according
> to German and French sayings is impossible). I seem to recall that
> the pattern was simply an artefact of the program used to create
> the png from the svg, and that it had been discussed and corrected.

Could you find again that discussion?  I forgot what the arguments were
and what happened.

>> Yes, a nice GuixSD background by default might be nice.
>
> And I also seem to recall that it was there before; or was that only
> in ratpoison and not in xfce?

It was never there.  I don’t know exactly what it takes to tell Xfce
(and GNOME, and Enlightenment, etc.) to use a specific background image,
but I agree it would be nice to do that!  Ideas?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: GuixSD artwork
@ 2016-02-22 19:21       ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-02-22 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 04:59:17PM -0800, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
>>> Why would we drop the checkerboard pattern again?  I like it a lot!
>>
>> That of course is a question of taste; I am not so fond of it.
>> But my message was not to discuss matters of taste (which according
>> to German and French sayings is impossible). I seem to recall that
>> the pattern was simply an artefact of the program used to create
>> the png from the svg, and that it had been discussed and corrected.
>
> Could you find again that discussion?  I forgot what the arguments were
> and what happened.

As I recall, while I was trying to change our svg->png code to use
simpler tools to avoid requiring 'inkscape', I guessed that the
checkboard pattern might be a mere artifact, but Luis later confirmed
that it was an intentional part of the design.

      Mark

* Re: GuixSD artwork
@ 2016-02-22 19:39         ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-02-22 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 02:21:12PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> As I recall, while I was trying to change our svg->png code to use
> simpler tools to avoid requiring 'inkscape', I guessed that the
> checkboard pattern might be a mere artifact, but Luis later confirmed
> that it was an intentional part of the design.

Okay, sorry for the noise then!

I am going to add some more:
In the artworks repository, there is a background for slim (the one with the
coloured waves); however, the same GuixSD image as for the grub background is
used there. Is that intentional? Actually, I do quite like it.

Maybe if someone finds out how to change the background image of xfce (to the
waves, I suppose), it would be nice to also do so for gnome; I think Daniel's
screenshot would be more interesting if it showed something more guix specific.

Andreas

* Re: GuixSD artwork
@ 2016-02-23 13:12           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-23 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> In the artworks repository, there is a background for slim (the one with the
> coloured waves); however, the same GuixSD image as for the grub background is
> used there. Is that intentional? Actually, I do quite like it.

The slim/0.8 directory contains the “old” theme (with the wave).  The
backgrounds/ directory is meant to contain backgrounds for desktop
environments, which we don’t use yet.

Ludo’.