unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Interest in package for pfff?
@ 2016-01-01  8:23 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-01-01  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I just wrote a package for pfff. Should it go into Guix, and if so,
what module should it belong in?  md5sum and shaxsum are part of
coreutils. I am thinking pfff should go into gnu/packages/hash.scm.

Pj.

(define-module (gn packages pfff)
  #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix build-system cmake))

(define-public pfff
  (package
    (name "pfff")
    (version "1.0")
    (source (origin
              (method url-fetch)
              (uri (string-append
                    "https://github.com/pfff/pfff/archive/v" version ".tar.gz"))
              (sha256
               (base32
                "00m553aa277iarxj6dalmklyb64r7ias49bfwzbacsfg8h3kar8m"))))
    (build-system cmake-build-system)
    (home-page "http://biit.cs.ut.ee/pfff/")
    (synopsis "Probabilistic fast file fingerprinting")
    (description
     "Calculate a probablistic fast finger print (pfff) which
functions as a compact digital fingerprint of a file by sampling
randomly from the file instead of reading it in full.  Consequently,
the computation has a flat performance characteristic, correlated with
data variation rather than file size.")
    (license license:bsd-3)))

* Re: Interest in package for pfff?
@ 2016-01-01 21:51 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-01-01 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 09:23:25AM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> I just wrote a package for pfff. Should it go into Guix, and if so,
> what module should it belong in?  md5sum and shaxsum are part of
> coreutils. I am thinking pfff should go into gnu/packages/hash.scm.

Yeah, why not?

> Pj.
>
> (define-module (gn packages pfff)
                    ^ gnu?

@ 2016-01-02 13:21 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-01-02 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> I just wrote a package for pfff. Should it go into Guix, and if so,
> what module should it belong in?  md5sum and shaxsum are part of
> coreutils. I am thinking pfff should go into gnu/packages/hash.scm.

I think “hash.scm” would be a good location.

> (define-public pfff
>   (package
>     (name "pfff")
>     (version "1.0")
>     (source (origin
>               (method url-fetch)
>               (uri (string-append
>                     "https://github.com/pfff/pfff/archive/v" version ".tar.gz"))

We need “(file-name ...)” after the “(uri ...)” expression, because the
tarball is just called “v1.0.tar.gz”.

>               (sha256
>                (base32
>                 "00m553aa277iarxj6dalmklyb64r7ias49bfwzbacsfg8h3kar8m"))))
>     (build-system cmake-build-system)
>     (home-page "http://biit.cs.ut.ee/pfff/")
>     (synopsis "Probabilistic fast file fingerprinting")
>     (description
>      "Calculate a probablistic fast finger print (pfff) which
                          ^--- an “i” is missing here.

[p]robabilistic [f]ast [f]inger [f]rint –> pfff ;)

The first sentence is a sentence fragment, but we want to have full
sentences in package descriptions.  It would probably suffice to just
prepend “This package provides tools to” to the proposed description.

I’d remove the “(pfff)” because it’s actually the abbreviation for
“probabilistic fast file fingerprinting” (as in the synopsis).

> functions as a compact digital fingerprint of a file by sampling
> randomly from the file instead of reading it in full.  Consequently,
> the computation has a flat performance characteristic, correlated with
> data variation rather than file size.")
>     (license license:bsd-3)))

Other than that it’s fine.  Could you please send a patch?  (You can use
“git format-patch -1” or similar to produce it from a commit.)

Thank you!

~~ Ricardo