unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* getting started test-building packages without breaking the system profile?
@ 2015-12-07 17:54 anonymiss
From: anonymiss @ 2015-12-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I've read https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Packaging-Guidelines.html and I am done with the gnunet-gtk.scm, at least as far as I can go without testing.
My question is, do I check out the guix.git for testing the package with
./pre-inst-env guix build $pkg-name --keep-failed
or what is the general recommended process for this?
I know I can even setup VMs within guix with guix, but I just started and need some pointers.

--anonymiss
Email is public and violates our right for secrecy of correspondence.
Talk to me in private:
http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/anonymiss/
irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/anonymiss
https://psyced.org:34443/anonymiss/

If you want Email like communication which respects
your privacy and rights and is secure without requiring you to
learn complicated tools, use bitmessage:
(public) bitmessage: BM-2cSj8qEigE3CMaLU3CwPZf7T3LvzvnttsC

my vcard (sort of): http://krosos.sdf.org

* Re: getting started test-building packages without breaking the system profile?
@ 2015-12-07 18:26 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2015-12-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anonymiss; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 12:54:53PM -0500, anonymiss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Packaging-Guidelines.html and I am done with the gnunet-gtk.scm, at least as far as I can go without testing.
> My question is, do I check out the guix.git for testing the package with
> ./pre-inst-env guix build $pkg-name --keep-failed
> or what is the general recommended process for this?
> I know I can even setup VMs within guix with guix, but I just started and need some pointers.

If you are just testing packages and not GuixSD / system stuff, try
`guix environment --ad-hoc foo`, and maybe also the `--pure` option.

This will put the packages in your environment as if they were installed
in a profile, without actually making a profile generation.

The only downside, to me, is that `guix gc` will delete foo unless you
explicity register it as a garbage collector root with `guix build -r
foo`. It has been discussed to add this option to `guix environment`,
but I'm not sure if any decision was reached:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-10/msg00551.html

@ 2015-12-07 18:49   ` anonymiss
From: anonymiss @ 2015-12-07 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

I'm sorry for top-posting, my setup is a bit difficult at the moment.

So: "If you are just testing packages and not GuixSD / system stuff, try `guix environment --ad-hoc foo`, and maybe also the `--pure` option."
and looking at guix environment --help output, with my file being /home/user/gnunet-gtk.scm I run:
`guix environment --ad-hoc --pure -- guix build /home/user/gnunet-gtk.scm --keep-failed`
this seems to be wrong, even with sudo:
"In execvp of guix: Permission denied"

What I'm trying to do is to check if my package for gnunet-gtk works, so I can eventually debug it and mail it to the list.

@ 2015-12-07 18:54 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-12-07 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anonymiss; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 12:54:53PM -0500, anonymiss wrote:
> I've read https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/
> Packaging-Guidelines.html and I am done with the gnunet-gtk.scm, at least as
> far as I can go without testing.

It would be better to add the package to the existing gnunet.scm (which also
makes it easier to test, as there is no need to register a new file in
gnu-system.am).

Is a separate package needed, or could the existing recipe be extended to
also build the gtk+ binaries? If there is no separate source, I think this
would be the preferred approach.

> My question is, do I check out the guix.git for testing the package with
> ./pre-inst-env guix build $pkg-name --keep-failed
> or what is the general recommended process for this?

This is how I work; in this way, you can provide a patch that applies
directly on top of master.

Andreas

* Re: getting started test-building packages without breaking the system profile?
@ 2015-12-07 19:11   ` anonymiss
From: anonymiss @ 2015-12-07 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Okay, this makes sense to me.
I'll try if I can make it to test-build (the only part I am not exactly sure of is which set of modules is needed (this could be solved by just appending/copying the relevant part of gnunet-gtk into the gnunet.scm), and how to reproduce
src_configure() {
econf \
--docdir="${EPREFIX}/usr/share/doc/${PF}" \
--with-gnunet=/usr || die "econf failed"

}

for guix. I've already written build recipes for gnunet and gnunet-gtk for Gentoo (not yet merged into portage because we're still doing quality checking for it) so I have the compile instructions, but for another system.
Or is the entire part in src_configure unnecessary here?

gnunet-gtk is an independent, own package in the GNUnet sources (it has its own svn directory) which comes with some tools not provided in gnunet, but recommended to use with (configuration, setup,...).

--anonymiss
Email is public. Talk to me in private:
for bitmessage and more: http://krosos.sdf.org

@ 2015-12-07 19:54     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2015-12-07 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anonymiss; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 01:49:18PM -0500, anonymiss wrote:
> I'm sorry for top-posting, my setup is a bit difficult at the moment.

That's too bad, it's difficult to read your messages. You should
probably join us on IRC. We are on #guix on irc.freenode.net. You will
get help more quickly there.

> So: "If you are just testing packages and not GuixSD / system stuff, try `guix environment --ad-hoc foo`, and maybe also the `--pure` option."
> and looking at guix environment --help output, with my file being /home/user/gnunet-gtk.scm I run:
> `guix environment --ad-hoc --pure -- guix build /home/user/gnunet-gtk.scm --keep-failed`
> this seems to be wrong, even with sudo:
> "In execvp of guix: Permission denied"

First of all, you can't nest the `guix build` in the `guix environment`
command. You would do:
`guix environment --ad-hoc gnunet-gtk`

If gnunet-gtk has already been built, that will put it in your
environment so you can test. If not, it will build it first.

But, I don't know how to use `guix environment` with a gnunet-gtk.scm
file in any random place. I either set my GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH to point to
the correct path, or, if I am working in checkout of the Guix source
tree, I use `./pre-inst-env guix environment`, assuming that I have
bootstrapped and built the Guix from the checkout.

@ 2015-12-07 20:11   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2015-12-07 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 07:54:51PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 12:54:53PM -0500, anonymiss wrote:
> > I've read https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/
> > Packaging-Guidelines.html and I am done with the gnunet-gtk.scm, at least as
> > far as I can go without testing.
>
> It would be better to add the package to the existing gnunet.scm (which also
> makes it easier to test, as there is no need to register a new file in
> gnu-system.am).
>
> Is a separate package needed, or could the existing recipe be extended to
> also build the gtk+ binaries? If there is no separate source, I think this
> would be the preferred approach.
>
> > My question is, do I check out the guix.git for testing the package with
> > ./pre-inst-env guix build $pkg-name --keep-failed
> > or what is the general recommended process for this?
>
> This is how I work; in this way, you can provide a patch that applies
> directly on top of master.

A little more detail on how to do this because I can't find explicit
instructions in the manual (although you should read section 2.2):
http://zvfak.blogspot.com/2015/07/gnu-guix-for-easily-managing.html

This assumes that you have a working Guix installation, installed from a
binary tarball.

@ 2015-12-07 20:25       ` anonymiss
From: anonymiss @ 2015-12-07 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Yes, I'm aware of the readability issues and it seems that my testing of protonmail services proofs to me that I should just stick to my old email provider.
I'll have it fixed in some days.
There was a follow-up email, I'll look into the link provided there and the info you gave me and see if I can get my head around how to do it myself.
If I can't solve it myself or produce more output for help etc, I'll make an exception and use freenode for chat then.

Thanks for your help so far, and sorry for the bad readability. I'll give protonmail some feedback about it before I stop using it.