unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* We are Neanderthals!
@ 2015-09-25  7:16 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-09-25  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Only antique Neanderthals type two spaces after a period:

http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/signed-strips-store/57-two-spaces

* Re: We are Neanderthals!
@ 2015-09-25  8:55 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-09-25  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

> Only antique Neanderthals type two spaces after a period:

Oh, so we are the more modern Neanderthals then, compared to the common
neolithic Neanderthals.  I take that as a compliment ;)

——

Emacs users have a good reason to use two spaces between sentences:
‘forward-sentence’ (M-e, M-a) uses ‘sentence-end’ to figure out the end
of a sentence and this is what the help says about the default value:

    The default value specifies that in order to be recognized as the
    end of a sentence, the ending period, question mark, or exclamation
    point must be followed by two spaces, with perhaps some closing
    delimiters in between.  See Info node `(elisp)Standard Regexps'.

With a single space it’s more difficult to distinguish sentence endings
from the single space after abbreviations or titles like “Mrs.”.

(I only started using two spaces after a sentence end since using
Emacs.)