On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 02:28:25PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >Tomáš Čech skribis: > >> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 09:39:49AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >>>Tomáš Čech skribis: >>> >>>> * gnu/packages/dictionaries.scm (sdcv): New variable. >>> >>>You pushed it already but I have some comments anyway: >> >> Oh, I took that there are no objections already. Sorry about that. > >That’s OK, I just happened to have comments. ;-) > >>>> +(define-public sdcv >>>> + (package >>>> + (name "sdcv") >>>> + (version "0.5.0-beta4") >>> >>>The policy is to provide only stable versions, unless there’s a very >>>good reason to do otherwise. Could we use the previous version until >>>0.5.0 is out? >> >> Previous version of this tool is 0.4.2, which is 8 years old, it won't work with recent compilers (it's their statement, not my experiment though), could suffer with allignment issues on more exotic architectures (ARM among them). > >Sounds like a good reason. “beta4” suggests 0.5.0 will soon be released >though, no? I'd rather not speculate - beta2 was released 2013-07-07, beta4 was released 2014-10-24. If there is planned beta7, it may be released after GNU Hurd. >> I can add comment with the reasoning. > >Yes please. > >>>> + (synopsis "Command line variant of StarDict") >>> >>>Could you change it to be self-contained–i.e., without referring to >>>StarDict (which I don’t know, and perhaps is not very well known.) >> >> sdcv stands for - StarDict Command line Variant >> This is where I took the synopsis from. >> >> It's hard to believe that you have never heard of StarDict. I'm not >> aware of any offline sotfware dictionary software which does not >> support StarDict dictionary format and doesn't state it's relation to >> stardict - be it GoldenDict, QStardict or this sdcv. > >What I have heard of doesn’t really matter–hopefully I’m not the only >user of this. ;-) > >Anyway, “StarDict-compatible command-line dictionary program” maybe? OK. >Now that I try to learn about StarDict, I stumble upon this at >: > > The original StarDict project has recently been removed from > SourceForge due to copyright infringement reports. > It's hard to find anything now but AFAIR they hosted besides the software also data, which weren't respecting copyright of original source. >And at , sdvc describes itself as the >“console version of [the] StarDict program”, which is not >confidence-inspiring. Some files such as dictziplib.cpp do indeed seem >to come from StarDict. I wasn't afraid before but now it works as FUD from the sf.net side because the lack of information available. >Could you check if you can find more information? It’s in Debian and >not on , which is encouraging. The file you mentioned looks like from stardict project, but was originally taken from dictd-1.9.7 as it states and during it's history it always had GPL license (started with GPL1). But there are also similarities between stardict-3.0.4/dict/src/lib/mapfile.h and sdcv-0.5.0-beta4-Source/src/mapfile.hpp and that is missing license in sdcv completely. Further - distance.cpp (GPL) and distance.hpp (no license in header) are probably related among projects. Lets scratch it whole, I'm not laywer. When there is webkit package, I may give a try to GoldenDict. S_W >> Is this satisfactory?: >> "Sdcv is command line dictionary utility with support of StarDict > >“with support for the StarDict” > >> dictionary format. For word in one language it can find translation >> in all installed dictionaries at the same time and without specifying >> original language. > >What about “It can translate words from any language to any other language >for which a dictionary is available.”? > >> With proper dictionary it can also work as encyclopedic dictionary." > >“can also work as an encyclopedia” > Thanks for the fixes. S_W