unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>
To: sleep_walker@suse.cz
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: missing input and more
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 11:30:04 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 08:05:03AM +0100, sleep_walker@suse.cz wrote:
> 1] ldd shows run-time dependency:
> $ ldd /gnu/store/0mfgwxgqyhlvi5xyi1j2lbr3ygczsdyp-gnutls-3.2.21/lib/libgnutls.so | grep libz
>        libz.so.1 => /gnu/store/x8cg3irwf8y2mkr88bqmsqhadi71xf6s-zlib-1.2.7/lib/libz.so.1 (0x00007fe4fac90000)

That is fine - so there is a dependency, but our rpath recoding handles it.
So far, there is no need for zlib as a propagated input - we do not need to
install it into the user profile when installing gnutls.

> Libs.private: -lz        -lgmp
> Requires.private: nettle, hogweed, libtasn1, zlib

Reading up the documentation of pkg-config:
"Requires and Requires.private define other modules needed by the library.
It is usually preferred to use the private variant of Requires to avoid
exposing unnecessary libraries to the program that is linking with your
library. If the program will not be using the symbols of the required library,
it should not be linking directly to that library."

So as I understand this, there is no need to propagate the zlib input.

Or am I getting it wrong?

Andreas