ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > Not sure. Is libcanberra dlopened? Do you know what dlopens it, and > whether it systematically does? I've not found out. I'm attaching the strace log of evince (actually the wrapper of my local package built with glib-or-gtk). Maybe you see more than me. In any case, I've checked a couple more applications making use of the gtk toolkit: inkscape, icecat. They all complain about libcanberra-gtk-module. It looks like libcanberra is used by many gtk+ applications. On debian "aptitude why libcanberra-gtk-module" reports the following depencencies: i task-gnome-desktop Depends gnome-core i A gnome-core Depends metacity (>= 1:2.34) i A metacity Depends libcanberra-gtk0 (>= 0.2) i A libcanberra-gtk0 Recommends libcanberra-gtk-module > So this is the daemon the GSettings API normally connects to, right? I believe so. At least that's what I understood reading some of the documentation and some threads, e.g.: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.shell/5897 dconf is the replacement for gconf which is now considered deprecated. For emacs specifically it appears that the warning may be suppressed with configure flags --without-gsettings and --disable-gconf: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/glib-gio-message-when-starting-emacs-after-latest-current-update-4175418191/ Not sure how emacs uses those features. Regards, Fede