unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Possible error in the manual?
@ 2014-09-22 19:48 Nate Bargmann
From: Nate Bargmann @ 2014-09-22 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Reading through the Guix manual I am in section "3.2 Invoking guix
package" and tried the --show=package option.  I receive the following
error from Guix:

      $ guix package --show=emacs
      guix package error: show=emacs: unrecognized option

Running 'guix package --help' indeed shows no option named '--show'.
Running 'guix --version' returns "guix (GNU Guix) 0.7" ...

Does the online Guix manual reflect unreleased features found only in
the repository?  Or is this a superseded option and the manual is
lagging a bit?

- Nate

* Re: Possible error in the manual?
@ 2014-09-23 10:08 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-23 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Bargmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> skribis:

> Reading through the Guix manual I am in section "3.2 Invoking guix
> package" and tried the --show=package option.  I receive the following
> error from Guix:
>
>       $ guix package --show=emacs
>       guix package error: show=emacs: unrecognized option
>
> Running 'guix package --help' indeed shows no option named '--show'.
> Running 'guix --version' returns "guix (GNU Guix) 0.7" ...

Could it be that this is actually a pre-0.7 installation?  Or perhaps
~/.config/guix/latest points to a pre-0.7 version?  This option appeared
in 0.7.

> Does the online Guix manual reflect unreleased features found only in
> the repository?  Or is this a superseded option and the manual is
> lagging a bit?

The on-line manual corresponds to the latest release, currently 0.7.

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: Possible error in the manual?
@ 2014-09-23 11:21   ` Nate Bargmann
From: Nate Bargmann @ 2014-09-23 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

* On 2014 23 Sep 05:09 -0500, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> skribis:
>
> > Running 'guix --version' returns "guix (GNU Guix) 0.7" ...
>
> Could it be that this is actually a pre-0.7 installation?  Or perhaps
> ~/.config/guix/latest points to a pre-0.7 version?  This option appeared
> in 0.7.

I double checked and Guix is reporting the version string I quoted
above.  I don't see "pre-" shown anywhere.

I installed the GNU System from:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/gnu-usb-install-0.7.i686.xz

which is the link (more or less) provided in the online manual.

> The on-line manual corresponds to the latest release, currently 0.7.

Thanks, Ludo.

@ 2014-09-23 12:20     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-09-23 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nate Bargmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> skribis:

> * On 2014 23 Sep 05:09 -0500, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> skribis:
>>
>> > Running 'guix --version' returns "guix (GNU Guix) 0.7" ...
>>
>> Could it be that this is actually a pre-0.7 installation?  Or perhaps
>> ~/.config/guix/latest points to a pre-0.7 version?  This option appeared
>> in 0.7.
>
> I double checked and Guix is reporting the version string I quoted
> above.  I don't see "pre-" shown anywhere.

Actually it always shows the future version number, so it cannot really
be relied on.

> I installed the GNU System from:
>
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/gnu-usb-install-0.7.i686.xz

Be aware that version X or Guix cannot contains a package of Guix
version X.  So Guix 0.7 actually comes with a pre-0.7 snapshot.  This
should be visible in the directory name in:

  readlink $(type -P guix)

To get a newer Guix, it should be enough to run ‘guix pull’.  That
should give you the ‘--show’ options and lots of other bleeding-edge
things.  ;-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Possible error in the manual?
@ 2014-09-23 19:01       ` Nate Bargmann
From: Nate Bargmann @ 2014-09-23 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

* On 2014 23 Sep 07:22 -0500, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Be aware that version X or Guix cannot contains a package of Guix
> version X.  So Guix 0.7 actually comes with a pre-0.7 snapshot.  This
> should be visible in the directory name in:
>
>   readlink $(type -P guix)

Embedded in the returned string is 'guix-0.6.0-'.  I do recall seeing
that reference during the installation and wondering why the previous
version would be downloaded.  Now I know.

> To get a newer Guix, it should be enough to run ‘guix pull’.  That
> should give you the ‘--show’ options and lots of other bleeding-edge
> things.  ;-)

Thanks, I will try that.

- Nate