So I've downloaded the latest guix tarball from ftp.gnu.org, built it and installed it according to the instructions in INSTALL (using the default parameters). Then I install a few packages using 'guix package -i ' and start trying them out by setting my path: export PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/bin:$PATH" - To my delight, using guix I can install lots of packages and run them. After a while I run "guix package -i guix" which installs just fine. But sadly now guix is broken. Wheneve I run any command I get: guix package: error: failed to connect to `/var/nix/daemon-socket/socket': No such file or directory Shouldn't we have a --localstatedir option or an environment variable so that guix knows where to find its state dir? J' -- PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3 fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3 See http://sks-keyservers.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.