unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: "Elais Player" <elais@fastmail.com>
To: "adfeno--- via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
	distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: packaging a golang package
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 20:57:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Hey I just want to throw out there that I have a very WIP go module importer[1] sitting on my channel. It uses the proxy.golang.org[2] api to fetch the module's dependencies and source. The single module importer works for the most part but I need to fix it so that the recursive importer doesn't fail when it tries to fetch a dependency in a project's go.mod file that isn't proxied.

There are a few problems that should be looked at for my importer.

1.) it does not include metadata or licensing information, so after importing this way a prudent packager will have to go through and add this information for everything that was pulled down.

2.) I don't think I'm doing a good job of filtering out similar versions of packages, i tried to follow the examples in the cargo importer but I'm not quite sure what all is going on in there.

3.) It uses a call to `guix environment --ad-hoc go -- go mod edit -json` to parse module dependencies from the go.mod file, maybe this can be done in a more idiomatic way?

I think its a good start if anyone would like to help get it over the hump.

[1] https://git.sr.ht/~elais/orange/tree/master/item/guix/import/go.scm

[2] https://proxy.golang.org