kiasoc5@disroot.org schreef op di 07-06-2022 om 18:39 [+0000]: > - we package their dependencies separately (eg Rust crates, Go modules), these are a significant portion of Guix that cannot be constantly updated easily > - the Guix 1.4 release is coming soon so more time may be spent debugging that instead of updating the package archives [...] > However I hope that faster package reviews can mean we stay updated faster without compromising package quality. FWIW, antioxidant removes most of the complexity of Rust's dependency system, which should help with packaging and reviewing. No need to package old versions to satisfy Cargo and making sure the old version builds, has an appropriate synopsis/description, doesn't introduce malware, ... Theoretically (currently untested!) faster build times, no need to package Windows or redox crates. The cost is that, as you seem to write, that the dependent might not support the old version of the dependency, but updating is something upstream needs to do eventually anyway, and (antioxidant) in theory (untested) supports working with multiple versions. There's also the option of making some compatibility changes in the Guix version of the dependency (undoing a removal of a function, or adding some aliases, etc.). Greetings, Maxime