unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>
To: kiasoc5@disroot.org, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Repology and outdated packages
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 23:41:31 +0200	[thread overview]

kiasoc5@disroot.org schreef op di 07-06-2022 om 18:39 [+0000]:
> - we package their dependencies separately (eg Rust crates, Go modules), these are a significant portion of Guix that cannot be constantly updated easily
> - the Guix 1.4 release is coming soon so more time may be spent debugging that instead of updating the package archives
[...]
> However I hope that faster package reviews can mean we stay updated faster without compromising package quality.

FWIW, antioxidant removes most of the complexity of Rust's dependency
system, which should help with packaging and reviewing.  No need to
package old versions to satisfy Cargo and making sure the old version
builds, has an appropriate synopsis/description, doesn't introduce
malware, ... Theoretically (currently untested!) faster build times, no
need to package Windows or redox crates.

The cost is that, as you seem to write, that the dependent might not
support the old version of the dependency, but updating is something
upstream needs to do eventually anyway, and (antioxidant) in theory
(untested) supports working with multiple versions.  There's also the
option of making some compatibility changes in the Guix version of the
dependency (undoing a removal of a function, or adding some aliases,
etc.).

Greetings,
Maxime