Hi Ludo, Am 30.04.21 um 12:45 schrieb Ludovic Courtès: > Uh. More generally, Rust packages kinda create a “shadow dependency > graph” via #:cargo-inputs & co., which breaks all the tools that are > unaware of it. It was discussed several times on this list, and > apparently it’s unfortunately unavoidable at this time. :-/ Maybe we can get rid of #:cargo-inputs at least: guix/build-system/cargo.scm says: "Although cargo does not permit cyclic dependencies between crates, however, it permits cycles to occur via dev-dependencies" So we could change #:cargo-inputs into normal inputs and get at least part of the dependencies right. I'm aware of the "special treatment" of cargo-inputs. Anyhow we could apply the following changes to the cargo build-system: * The cargo build-system copies the "pre-built crate" (more on this below) into a new output called "rlib" or "crate". There already is a phase "packaging" which only needs to be changed to use the other output. * All of today's #:cargo-inputs will be changed into normal inputs using the "rlib/crate" output. (To avoid duplicate assoc-rec keys we might need to change the name/keys, but this should be a minor issue.) * If required, the cargo build-system can easily identify former #:cargo-inputs  by being inputs from a "rlib/crate" output. Benefits up to here: * The dependency graph would be much more complete - although "#:cargo-development-inputs" would still be missing. * Package transformation options would work -again except for "#:cargo-development-inputs". * If(!) we actually manage to make cargo pick "pre-built" crates, package definition will already be adjusted to use them. |Drawbacks up to here:| * ||Since the "packaging" phase copies the source, there is not much benefit in having a "rlib/crate" output yet. Actually, when a "rlib/crate" output needs to be build, the user will end up with two copies of the source (one from the git-checkout, one from packaging) About "pre-built" crate: Given the many possible ways to build crates (e.g. switching on and off "features", different crate types), we might never be able to provide pre-built packages for all cases. Thus we might end up always providing the source, even if we manage to make cargo pick of pre-built artifacts. About the output name: Rust has a notion of "rlib" (a specialized .a file), which seems to be the pre-built artifacts we are seeking. Thus the proposed name. WDYT? -- Regards Hartmut Goebel | Hartmut Goebel | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com | | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |