unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Packaging Godot games with Guix
@ 2022-05-12 18:12 Tobias Platen
From: Tobias Platen @ 2022-05-12 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I tried to package the game BeepSaber for Guix, which does not really
use a build system. You just git clone the repository containing the
game, then import the game into Godot by clicking import. When I just
do cd /gnu/store/path-to-beepsaber && godot, the Godot engine is unable
to import the media files used by beepsaber. Importing using the godot
editor requires write access to the game directory.

Tobias Alexandra

* Re: Packaging Godot games with Guix
@ 2022-05-12 18:59 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-05-12 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen, guix-devel

Tobias Platen schreef op do 12-05-2022 om 20:12 [+0200]:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to package the game BeepSaber for Guix, which does not really
> use a build system. You just git clone the repository containing the
> game, then import the game into Godot by [...]

There's a small patch series implementing a 'godot-build-system' and
packaging 'librerama', which uses Godot:
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48952#3>.  I don't know any specifics, but
maybe that will be useful for packaging BeepSaber?

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Packaging Godot games with Guix
@ 2022-05-12 19:23 ` Liliana Marie Prikler
From: Liliana Marie Prikler @ 2022-05-12 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen, guix-devel

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, dem 12.05.2022 um 20:12 +0200 schrieb Tobias Platen:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to package the game BeepSaber for Guix, which does not really
> use a build system.
Even if you "don't really use a build system", you probably have one.
For instance, renpy's build system consists of compiling all sources to
its own bytecode, which is done by loading it.  I'd like to point out a
package using it, but most novels I found are sadly not of the kind
that I can share them on a free software mailing list.  Nevertheless,
rest assured that I tested the existing code on at least one game.

> You just git clone the repository containing the game, then import
> the game into Godot by clicking import. When I just do cd
> /gnu/store/path-to-beepsaber && godot, the Godot engine is unable
> to import the media files used by beepsaber. Importing using the
> godot editor requires write access to the game directory.
Is there a godot CLI that you can invoke to perhaps get a binary or
something out of that?  If not, you might need to go the hard way of
spawning an X framebuffer, launching godot and then clicking through a
screen that you can't get see to get a working export.  In either case,
don't worry about read-only during `guix build' – make-file-writable
exists.

Alternatively, you could write a wrapper script, that unpacks the game
from a well-known location to some /tmp directory and runs godot from
there, but I'd avoid this solution.

Cheers