unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* git based code review
@ 2024-06-24  9:31 raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2024-06-24  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Since the email based workflow has put off quite a few potential
contributors, maybe this could be a good distributed alternative:
https://github.com/google/git-appraise

Disclaimer: haven't tried it myself, also haven't tried packaging it.
The Go and Rust dependencies could be hard to package with Guix's
current tools.

* Re: git based code review
@ 2024-06-24 14:18 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2024-06-24 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom, Guix Devel, Arun Isaac

Hi,

On 2024-06-24 11:31, raingloom@riseup.net wrote:
> Since the email based workflow has put off quite a few potential
> contributors, maybe this could be a good distributed alternative:
> https://github.com/google/git-appraise
>
> Disclaimer: haven't tried it myself, also haven't tried packaging it.
> The Go and Rust dependencies could be hard to package with Guix's
> current tools.

Arun is also developing a similar thing but it's not based on the
git-notes for the issue system. I don't remember the name, maybe he can
talk more about it.

Also `fossil` does all this but "better" integrated.

It's a very interesting thing to test but also our repo is already kind
of huge. If we merge all the issues and stuff in it... It might become
even gigantic.

Also, the Mumi based workflow described here:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Debbugs-User-Interfaces.html#Command_002dline-interface

...is probably way better than using `git send-email` raw. WDYT?

I started with `git send-email` not that long ago, and *I* didn't find
the workflow hard to follow. In fact, *I* think it's even easier than
the PR based thing that is widespread right now.

I'm not saying it isn't true that there is people that was put off by
the email based workflow, but I'd like to know how many.

In any case, it's a very interesting link! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

* Re: git based code review
@ 2024-06-25 11:23   ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2024-06-25 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Guix Devel, Arun Isaac

On 2024-06-24 16:18, Ekaitz Zarraga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2024-06-24 11:31, raingloom@riseup.net wrote:
>> Since the email based workflow has put off quite a few potential
>> contributors, maybe this could be a good distributed alternative:
>> https://github.com/google/git-appraise
>>
>> Disclaimer: haven't tried it myself, also haven't tried packaging it.
>> The Go and Rust dependencies could be hard to package with Guix's
>> current tools.
>>

> Arun is also developing a similar thing but it's not based on the git-notes for the issue system. I don't remember the name, maybe he can talk more about it.
>
> Also `fossil` does all this but "better" integrated.
>
> It's a very interesting thing to test but also our repo is already kind of huge. If we merge all the issues and stuff in it... It might become even gigantic.
>
> Also, the Mumi based workflow described here:
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Debbugs-User-Interfaces.html#Command_002dline-interface
>
> ...is probably way better than using `git send-email` raw. WDYT?
>
> I started with `git send-email` not that long ago, and *I* didn't find the workflow hard to follow. In fact, *I* think it's even easier than the PR based thing that is widespread right now.
>
> I'm not saying it isn't true that there is people that was put off by the email based workflow, but I'd like to know how many.
>
> In any case, it's a very interesting link! Thanks for sharing!
>
> Cheers!

This is specifically for code *review*, not issue tracking or simply
sending patches.  PR review was one of the major problems with the email
tools that I've seen mentioned.