unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* article on Guix
@ 2016-06-23 19:55 Bruce Byfield
From: Bruce Byfield @ 2016-06-23 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: ludovic.courtes, ludo

Hi:

With the recent attention being paid to Ubuntu's Snappy packages, I
thought this would be a good time to bring the development of Guix to
reader's attention.

Would two or three people be willing to answer questions for me over the
next few days? I would need the answers by Tuesday, June 28 at the very
latest so that I can make my deadline.

I will correct grammar as necessary, while keeping the senses of your
replies as accurately as possible.

Please note that I am not subscribed to this list, so all replies should
be directed to my mailing address.

Bruce Byfield 604.421.7189 (Pacific time)
Writer of "Designing with LibreOffice"
http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/

* Re: article on Guix
@ 2016-06-24  3:56 ` Leo Famulari
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-06-24  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Byfield; +Cc: guix-devel, ludovic.courtes, ludo

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:55:44PM -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> Hi:
>
> With the recent attention being paid to Ubuntu's Snappy packages, I
> thought this would be a good time to bring the development of Guix to
> reader's attention.

I agree. There has been a lot of discussion of Snappy, Flatpak /
xdg-app, and AppImage, but not enough discussion of Guix or Nix :)

> Would two or three people be willing to answer questions for me over the
> next few days? I would need the answers by Tuesday, June 28 at the very
> latest so that I can make my deadline.

I'd be very happy to help answer your questions to the best of my
ability! Hopefully some of the more experienced Guix hackers will also
be able to help.

* Re: article on Guix
@ 2016-06-24  8:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-06-24  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Byfield; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Bruce Byfield <bbyfield@axion.net> skribis:

> With the recent attention being paid to Ubuntu's Snappy packages, I
> thought this would be a good time to bring the development of Guix to
> reader's attention.

Great idea.  :-)

> Would two or three people be willing to answer questions for me over the
> next few days? I would need the answers by Tuesday, June 28 at the very
> latest so that I can make my deadline.

I’m happy to answer as well.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* Re: article on Guix
@ 2016-06-24  9:25 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-06-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Byfield; +Cc: guix-devel, ludovic.courtes, ludo

Hi Bruce,

> With the recent attention being paid to Ubuntu's Snappy packages, I
> thought this would be a good time to bring the development of Guix to
> reader's attention.

Excellent timing!

> Would two or three people be willing to answer questions for me over the
> next few days? I would need the answers by Tuesday, June 28 at the very
> latest so that I can make my deadline.

I’m willing to answer any questions you may have about Guix.  As a
sysadmin I’ve been using it in production at a bioinformatics institute
for more than a year now (in addition to also using it privately and to
power my audio recording workstation).

~~ Ricardo

* Re: article on Guix
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-06-24 19:31 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-06-24 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Byfield; +Cc: guix-devel, ludovic.courtes, ludo

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:55:44PM -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> With the recent attention being paid to Ubuntu's Snappy packages, I
> thought this would be a good time to bring the development of Guix to
> reader's attention.

these are great news, I always enjoy your contributions to the Linux Magazine
blog. I would be willing to answer questions as well.

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: article on Guix
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-06-24 20:09 ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-06-24 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Byfield; +Cc: guix-devel, ludovic.courtes, ludo

Bruce Byfield writes:

> Hi:
>
> With the recent attention being paid to Ubuntu's Snappy packages, I
> thought this would be a good time to bring the development of Guix to
> reader's attention.
>
> Would two or three people be willing to answer questions for me over the
> next few days? I would need the answers by Tuesday, June 28 at the very
> latest so that I can make my deadline.
>
> I will correct grammar as necessary, while keeping the senses of your
> replies as accurately as possible.
>
> Please note that I am not subscribed to this list, so all replies should
> be directed to my mailing address.
>
> Thanks,

I don't have time to answer questions, but am happy to review the
article.  Happy to see you taking an interest, Bruce!

 - Chris

* Re: article on Guix
@ 2016-06-25  0:50   ` Bruce Byfield
From: Bruce Byfield @ 2016-06-25  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: guix-devel, ludovic.courtes, ludo

On June 24, 2016 03:09:40 PM Christopher Allan Webber wrote:

>I don't have time to answer questions, but am happy to review the
>article.  Happy to see you taking an interest, Bruce!

Hi, Chris:

I appreciate the offer, but editors  frown on articles being shown
around beforehand. The belief is that doing so compromises the integrity
of the article.

However, I encourage everyone to comment on the published article, and
to send corrections publicly or privately. The article will be edited as
necessary.

Thanks for the interest,

--

@ 2016-06-25  7:37     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-06-25  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Byfield; +Cc: guix-devel, ludovic.courtes, ludo

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 05:50:32PM -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> I appreciate the offer, but editors  frown on articles being shown
> around beforehand. The belief is that doing so compromises the integrity
> of the article.

I must be living in a different world.

Pj.

* Re: article on Guix
@ 2016-06-25  7:53       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-06-25  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Bruce Byfield, ludovic.courtes, ludo

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 09:37:57AM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 05:50:32PM -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> > I appreciate the offer, but editors  frown on articles being shown
> > around beforehand. The belief is that doing so compromises the integrity
> > of the article.
> I must be living in a different world.

I think you do :-)

From what I have heard, this is a difference between North American and
European (or at least German) journalism: In Germany, interview transcripts
are sent to the interviewed person for cross-checking, so that they can correct
misunderstandings. This is a good thing actually; journalists writing about
science usually get it wrong, and then one can work together to find correct,
but understandable formulations. On the other hand, even in political
journalism this has gone so far that interviews need to be "authorised" before
publication, which could censor the information, for which North American
culture is very sensitive.

Andreas

* Re: article on Guix
@ 2016-06-25 15:12         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-06-25 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, Bruce Byfield, ludovic.courtes, ludo

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 09:53:33AM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 09:37:57AM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 05:50:32PM -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> > > I appreciate the offer, but editors  frown on articles being shown
> > > around beforehand. The belief is that doing so compromises the integrity
> > > of the article.
> > I must be living in a different world.
>
> I think you do :-)
>
> From what I have heard, this is a difference between North American and
> European (or at least German) journalism: In Germany, interview transcripts
> are sent to the interviewed person for cross-checking, so that they can correct
> misunderstandings. This is a good thing actually; journalists writing about
> science usually get it wrong, and then one can work together to find correct,
> but understandable formulations. On the other hand, even in political
> journalism this has gone so far that interviews need to be "authorised" before
> publication, which could censor the information, for which North American
> culture is very sensitive.

I concur. In the United States, readers are very suspicious of
journalism that has been reviewed by the subject prior to publication.
But, it would be equally bad if errors were discovered after publication
and left uncorrected.

* Re: article on Guix
@ 2016-06-25 17:28         ` Bruce Byfield
From: Bruce Byfield @ 2016-06-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, ludovic.courtes, ludo

On June 25, 2016 09:53:33 AM Andreas Enge wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 09:37:57AM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 05:50:32PM -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:
>> > I appreciate the offer, but editors  frown on articles being shown
>> > around beforehand. The belief is that doing so compromises the
>> > integrity of the article.
>>
>> I must be living in a different world.
>
>I think you do :-)

From what I have heard, this is a difference between North American and
>European (or at least German) journalism: In Germany, interview
>transcripts are sent to the interviewed person for cross-checking, so
>that they can correct misunderstandings.

Maybe. Although the European sites and magazines I have written for all
insist that those being written about shouldn't see the article before
publication. Maybe it comes down to the editor?

There are arguments on both sides, but I do know that if I developed a
reputation for showing my articles around, I would have a very hard time
getting assignments.