unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
@ 2024-05-31  9:30 jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-05-31  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-hurd, Sergey Bugaev, guix-devel

Heyo friends!

Sergey is going to do some live coding on the Hurd this Saturday
June 1st at 2pm UTC (tomorrow). His goal in the stream is to
update his glibc patches for running the Hurd on AArch64 (1) AND
to code a simple trivfs translator live. What cool simple trivfs
translator do you want to see him code (and run on AArch64)?

If you want to come, then at 2pm UTC, just point your modern web
browser at https://jitsi.member.fsf.org/Hurd-code-jam and we'll
have some fun! If there is a password, it'll be HURD. I can
probably record the session, but I don't really have the best
"recording setup". Does anyone else want to volunteer to record as well?

Thanks,

Joshua

1) Yes, Sergey is porting the Hurd to AArch64. It's a real thing.

 https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/news/2024-q1.html

P.S. Please do respond to this email for cool trivfs translators Sergey could live code:

https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/libtrivfs.html

example libtrivfs translators are:

https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/hurd/translator/hello/

https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/hurd/translator/random/

https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/hurd/translator/mtab/

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
@ 2024-05-31  9:54 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-05-31  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-hurd, Sergey Bugaev, guix-devel

May 31, 2024 at 5:30 AM, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:

> Heyo friends!
>

>  Sergey is going to do some live coding on the Hurd this Saturday
>

>  June 1st at 2pm UTC (tomorrow). His goal in the stream is to
>

>  update his glibc patches for running the Hurd on AArch64 (1) AND
>

>  to code a simple trivfs translator live. What cool simple trivfs
>

>  translator do you want to see him code (and run on AArch64)?
>

>  If you want to come, then at 2pm UTC, just point your modern web
>

>  browser at https://jitsi.member.fsf.org/Hurd-code-jam and we'll
>

>  have some fun! If there is a password, it'll be HURD. I can
>

>  probably record the session, but I don't really have the best
>

>  "recording setup". Does anyone else want to volunteer to record as well?
>

>  Thanks,
>

>  Joshua
>

>  1) Yes, Sergey is porting the Hurd to AArch64. It's a real thing.
>

>  https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/news/2024-q1.html
>

>  P.S. Please do respond to this email for cool trivfs translators Sergey could live code:
>

>  https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/libtrivfs.html
>

>  example libtrivfs translators are:
>

>  https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/hurd/translator/hello/
>

>  https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/hurd/translator/random/
>

>  https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/hurd/translator/mtab/

I'll get the ball rolling with some simple translator ideas:

- translate translator?

/hurd/translate ?  https://github.com/LibreTranslate/LibreTranslate

They support sending queries to the website (for $29 / month).
If someone wants to spin up a docker server for
libretranslate...that might make it easier to to try to write
such a translator.  It also runs offline too apparently.

- maybe compile translator?

settrans -ca hello hello.c

Anytime you update hello.c, hello gets recompiled.

- Maybe audio -> text translator
https://github.com/mozilla/DeepSpeech

- maybe html -> org translator
        markup language -> markup language translator

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
@ 2024-05-31 12:17   ` Almudena Garcia
From: Almudena Garcia @ 2024-05-31 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: bug-hurd, Sergey Bugaev, guix-devel

Other idea could be a magnet/torrent translator

wget magnet:?fl=http://...

and downloading the torrent file without a torrent client

@ 2024-05-31 12:55     ` Sergey Bugaev
From: Sergey Bugaev @ 2024-05-31 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Almudena Garcia; +Cc: bug-hurd, guix-devel, Joshua Branson

Hi,

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 3:18 PM Almudena Garcia
<liberamenso10000@gmail.com> wrote:
> Other idea could be a magnet/torrent translator
>
> wget magnet:?fl=http://...
>
> and downloading the torrent file without a torrent client

bittorrentfs would be cool indeed, and it's something that I wanted to
write for a long time actually. It'd accept either magnet links as you
suggest, or a .torrent file (possibly itself located on an httpfs
mount...). But: that'd be a large project, and definitely not
something I would write over an hour on a livestream. Also that'd be
netfs, not trivfs, since a BitTorrent share can contain a file tree,
much like an archive.

We're going to do something much more simple that could serve as an
introduction to trivfs and Hurd server programming in general.
Specifically, I'm thinking we'd make a translator that takes an
existing file and wraps reads/writes with Caesar's cipher / ROT13.
That's something that Josh has mentioned he wanted to write in the
past [0]; and also recently he recorded himself having a hard time
trying to understand how to make a trivfs-based translator [1], so I
thought it would make sense to help him (and anyone else who'd be
interested) understand that.

[0]: https://marc.info/?l=hurd-bug&m=162142791926428&w=2
[1]: https://video.hardlimit.com/w/cd6bf857-5d54-47a3-9112-9ab786b13bac

Sergey

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
@ 2024-06-01  8:07 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2024-06-01  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: bug-hurd, Sergey Bugaev, guix-devel

 ---- On Fri, 31 May 2024 11:30:52 +0200    wrote ---
 > If you want to come, then at 2pm UTC, just point your modern web
 > browser at https://jitsi.member.fsf.org/Hurd-code-jam and we'll
 > have some fun! If there is a password, it'll be HURD. I can
 > probably record the session, but I don't really have the best
 > "recording setup". Does anyone else want to volunteer to record as well?

I appreciate the effort to record.  This is something I'm interested in and not sure I'll be able to attend.  Plus, I think having such real-world hacking examples lowers the overall barrier to working on Hurd.

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
@ 2024-06-01 21:24   ` Almudena Garcia
From: Almudena Garcia @ 2024-06-01 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt; +Cc: jbranso, bug-hurd, Sergey Bugaev, guix-devel

I've upload the recording to youtube. Currently is processing in HD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7bWzsL7Ps

There was some problems, and there are some minutes in which the image
keeps freezed, but the most important seems be recording fine.

Excuse me the inconveniences.

@ 2024-06-18 19:06     ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2024-06-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Almudena Garcia; +Cc: guix-devel

 ---- On Sat, 01 Jun 2024 23:24:02 +0200  Almudena Garcia  wrote ---
 > I've upload the recording to youtube. Currently is processing in HD.
 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7bWzsL7Ps

Thank you!  This is great!

 > There was some problems, and there are some minutes in which the image keeps freezed, but the most important seems be recording fine.
 > Excuse me the inconveniences.

Sometimes, that's just how recording goes.  I appreciate you taking the effort and time to do this and to share it with those of us who couldn't attend.

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
@ 2024-06-20 16:45       ` Tobias Alexandra Platen
From: Tobias Alexandra Platen @ 2024-06-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt, Almudena Garcia; +Cc: guix-devel

I'm planing to do something similar with my libsurvive project,
as I am developing hardware that "Respects Your Freedom". I will
present how I use guix in some of those livestreams.

* Re: Come watch a live stream coding session for the Hurd
@ 2024-06-20 17:01         ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-06-20 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Alexandra Platen; +Cc: guix-devel

Am Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 06:45:26PM +0200 schrieb Tobias Alexandra Platen:
> I'm planing to do something similar with my libsurvive project,
> as I am developing hardware that "Respects Your Freedom". I will
> present how I use guix in some of those livestreams.

Great, please share the venue and schedule on this channel once you have
more details!

Andreas