---- On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 14:55:46 +0100 Josselin Poiret wrote --- > Matt matt@excalamus.com> writes: > > > Specific mention of installing Guix's dependencies was removed. Guix being installed implies that its dependencies are also installed. > > I don't agree here: it's often the case in Linux-land that binary > archives are provided without their dependencies included, assuming that > the user already has them, often by installing them via their own > package manager. Keeping the mention that it is self-contained and that > the dependencies are also included might clarify the situation for some > users. Thank you for the feedback. I opted for only "self-contained" which seems to imply that dependencies are available, in addition to other things, perhaps like setting an environment or pathing. If "self-contained" is distinct from "includes dependencies," we could append something like "...and includes all dependencies" to the last sentence. I also tried to distinguish that it's the installation *process* which requires GNU-tar and Xz and not the final installation, since that's self-contained. Otherwise, I tried to simplify the language: - archived binaries -> a binary archive - are often quicker -> often go faster - which is described in the next sections -> described later This version has fewer words and one more sentence. However, each sentence has a single, hopefully clear, point: 1. What this section is about? Installing from a binary archive. 2. Why you might want this section? It's faster than building. 3. What's needed? A Linux or Hurd-system with GNU-tar and Xz. 4. What do you get? A self-contained Guix installation. Original: Region has 5 lines, 3 sentences, 51 words, and 301 characters v2: Region has 5 lines, 4 sentences, 45 words, and 292 characters If this is good, I can write up a commit message and format the change as a patch.