Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op vr 06-05-2022 om 20:40 [+0200]: > Note that 'applications' is not really a useful category. It is a clear thematic division to me. Though it's a bit large, maybe 'applications' could be divided futher in more specific themes (‘office’ apps, games, terminal utilities, ...). >  But what's > more both nss-certs, glibc-locales and other packages that on their own > provide everything you need in a search path can already be handled > easily with existing mechanisms of Guix Home. I haven't found any such mechanism -- I haven't found any hits for 'GUIX_LOCPATH' or SSL_CERT_DIR/FILE'. At most I've found 'environment- variables->setup-environment-script', but as user I just want to add packages to a profile and have it work without having to manually fiddle with environemnt variables. > This is not a use case that calls for multiple profiles A separate 'data' profile looks like a use case for multiple thematic profiles to me. As I understood it, being able to separate profiles as you like is the point of the proposed Guix Home? Why prevent the user from making a ‘data’ profile? Maybe a separate profile for time zones, certificates and locales doesn't seem useful to you, but it seems a practical subdivison to me. > and the fix to missing these single > packages (assuming you want it expressed solely in terms of profiles) > would be to add them back to the default profile  Merging the 'data' profile (or other profiles) back into another profile kind of defeats the purpose of aseparate profiles. What if I don't have any default profile (or if a default profile is technically required, keep it empty)? Greetings, Maxime.