unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Celebrating ten years of Guix
@ 2022-01-12 14:27 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-01-12 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

This year marks the tenth anniversary of Guix; what if we used that as a
pretext to join forces and organize “special events” throughout the
year?  Obviously the Guix Days are already a great start!

Things that come to mind:

  • Install parties.  After the upcoming release, interested folks could
    team up with their local GNU/Linux user groups, or with colleagues,
    friends, enthusiasts to organize install parties.  We could collect
    those events on a web page.  That’s a great way to connect people,
    to debunk fears and myths, and also to get invaluable feedback that
    will allow us to improve the installation process.

  • Talks.  Presenting Guix to an audience who doesn’t know about it:
    could be again your local GNU/Linux user group, colleagues, sysadmin
    or techie conferences, scientific conferences, etc.  There are many
    people here who could do a great job at introducing Guix and sharing
    their own experience!

  • Articles.  Get an introductory article in your local GNU/Linux or
    sysadmin magazine or in some on-line magazine or specialized
    journal!

  • Hackathons.  Organizing hackathons focused on specific topics: again
    it could be local hackathons focused on getting software your
    organization or friends need packaged for Guix, it could be on-line
    hackathon focused on core features, Software Heritage and Disarchive
    integration, scientific workflows, documentation (like the recent
    meetups jgart & Julien organized!), translation, etc.

  • Sharing enthusiasm, freedom, and collective work!  :-)

Icing on the cake if Luis, Ricardo, and other artists among us come up
with some sort of a birthday logo, music, and whatnot!

What do people think?

Ludo’.

* Re: Celebrating ten years of Guix
@ 2022-01-12 16:04 ` Oliver Propst
From: Oliver Propst @ 2022-01-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2022-01-12 15:27, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
> What do people think?

I think its sounds as great idea to celebrate ten of Guix by doing some
or all of the activities you list Ludovic. Something that may could
initiate some in opinion needed hope and enthusiasm for Guix and
*GNU/Linux systems in general. Building on the great work and efforts
many people have done over last ten [!] years aiming (and some degree
succeeded) to from my understanding build a solid, extensible computer
system centered around GNU software and the principle of freedom for
computer users with a varying needs.

--
Kinds regards Oliver Propst
https://twitter.com/Opropst

* Re: Celebrating ten years of Guix
@ 2022-01-12 16:13   ` Oliver Propst
From: Oliver Propst @ 2022-01-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2022-01-12 17:04, Oliver Propst wrote:
> On 2022-01-12 15:27, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

What I guess would be helpful for the community is I guess by trying to
do some of the things you listed in a decently orderly manner though.
Which if we make certain efforts might actually be *possible.

*I have to that end created a shared etherpad here [0] which I guess we
could use for now.

0 https://yopad.eu/p/Ten_years-of-Guix-celebration_ideas-365days
--

@ 2022-01-12 16:32 ` Jonathan McHugh
From: Jonathan McHugh @ 2022-01-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

Hello Ludo,

If it helps, feel free to use HSBXL in Belgium as a node.
=> hsbxl.be/

While not a spacious or plush as the Guix Days location, it has ClubMate and better ICT support.

I can be onsite 24/7 whenever you need access.

====================
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels

@ 2022-01-15  4:52 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2022-01-15  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 03:27:32PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> This year marks the tenth anniversary of Guix; what if we used that as a
> pretext to join forces and organize “special events” throughout the
> year?  Obviously the Guix Days are already a great start!

Great idea.

In 2014 I watched your first presentation of Guix at FOSDEM. I was
sold on the spot! We use Guix containers and services through all our
deployments - it is a massive success story.

https://guix.gnu.org/guix-fosdem-20140201.pdf

Onwards and upwards!

Pj.

* Re: Celebrating ten years of Guix
@ 2022-01-15  9:09   ` Manolis Ragkousis
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2022-01-15  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

I still remember sending my first patch in 2014 and the happiness of
getting it accepted. I am using Guix everywhere and has made my life so
much simpler to experiment with things.

I love the Guix Community! Looking forward to another 10 year and beyond :D

@ 2022-01-18  4:47   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-01-18  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 03:27:32PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> This year marks the tenth anniversary of Guix; what if we used that as a
>> pretext to join forces and organize “special events” throughout the
>> year?  Obviously the Guix Days are already a great start!

Good idea!

Perhaps we could sprinkle ad-hoc presentations on topics of interest
throughout the year.  I'm not that much of a presentation person, but it
seems it'd liven the year which will probably see us more contained than
we'd like.

Maxim

* Re: Celebrating ten years of Guix
@ 2022-01-18 15:02   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-01-18 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan McHugh; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Jonathan,

"Jonathan McHugh" <indieterminacy@libre.brussels> skribis:

> If it helps, feel free to use HSBXL in Belgium as a node.
> => hsbxl.be/
>
> While not a spacious or plush as the Guix Days location, it has ClubMate and better ICT support.
>
> I can be onsite 24/7 whenever you need access.

Thanks for the offer!  I hope we can have an in-person event sometime
this year in Europe (and hopefully others can organize similar events on
other continents).

Ludo’.