Hi, attached is a simple patch that should print out a warning when a substitute server is ignored due to a customized store directory. Motivation: I was checking out guix for the first time a few days ago; I built it using the --with-store-dir configure option and subsequently, substitutes were not downloaded. I was baffled for some time because I thought I did everything according to the manual and yet I couldn't get the substitute downloads to work (with no indication why). I suppose the actual reason is quite apparent to people with some knowledge about guix but for a new user it is not (at least if I may judge from my own experience). Perhaps this patch will save someone a little bit of time. Regards, Hynek