Sorry for duplicated email.. On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 19:19 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote: > If not, it would be good to work toward the goal of making Guix > usable > on non-Intel systems. I'm sorry to say that, in my opinion, your > proposal would move us in the wrong direction to achieve that goal. We have been working with Chris Marusich, Efraim and numerous others on porting GNU Guix to PowerPC 64-bits, I think both are not contradictory. I have a Talos II desktop at home which once GNU Guix works on it will be the main machine I will use to contribute to GNU Guix (along with offloading to other machines for testing on other archs), so count on me to at the same time keep up on GNU Guix and test things on PowerPC 64-bits. I am of course concerned with any blob doing things I don't need (and introducing security risk) under the hood, that's why (along with strong software freedom imaginaries) I pre-ordered my RaptorCS Talos II machine in 2017 and that I have been trying since 2 years to bring PowerPC 64-bits to GNU Guix (also with numerous other folks who joined efforts most recently Chris Marusich who've been enormous help!). But I also want to be realistic that the major security risk in most computers today probably isnt the Intel ME or Intel AMT and that we also can do many other things in the system itself that reduces risk greatly. I'll be honest also, the IBM POWER chips have gotten much less security review than the Intel or AMD chips recently, so it's not because there's not as much security drama on IBM POWER that it doesnt have (maybe even more severe) issues :-) About the overall security of GNU Guix and the things we can do that don't involve keeping a fast-paced rythm to updating packages I see few things, right now GNU Guile is the center of all's GNU Guix security, I am not sure it received lots of security auditing, it's also written in part in a memory-unsafe language that is C, so there's probably some low hanging fruits there once some starts fuzzing it, I'm no big expert in fuzzing but I may try at some point. I think we can do many things complementary, prevention (sandboxing), mitigation (enabling hardening compiler flags, ..), AND code security patching. The first two don't require we keep a fast paced update rythm, also we may do the first two especially because we realize we can't do the latter at all time and I realize that, I just think we should always try to, at least, that's all. I am also a bit concerned with the idea that GNU Guix, GNU Shepherd etc. execute code from arbitrary files in many places, I am not sure all the security details have been reviewed here, it seems risky to me to have configuration files that allow executing arbitrary code, also GNU Guile seems to have a sandboxed evaluation mode, that's good. I like the freedom of arbitrary code evaluation anywhere gives us, but I also want to make sure it's actually secure to do so. Léo