unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Call for 1.2 installer testing.
@ 2020-10-11  6:23 Brendan Tildesley
From: Brendan Tildesley @ 2020-10-11  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe

Hi, I went through the installer looking for anything negative I could
say about it :) hope there is something helpful here:

Unrelated driver bug: installer was just a black screen until I rebooted
with nomodeset:  https://paste.debian.net/1166581/
Even with nomodeset, I get an error about no UMS supported in radeon,
but it doesn't stop anything.

Languages listed in the language selection are sometimes in English,
Rarely in the native language. What's the difference between "Mandarin
Chinese" and "Chinese"?. I guess this just requires translation data.
The names of languages in their respective languages is something that
already exists in a million different projects already, can we just copy
them in?
Even when choosing Mandarin Chinese, nothing in the installer is in
Mandarin. I guess one also needs to choose the final system language too.
Random thought: could we adapt the installer to use the same sentences
from an existing installer, like the ubuntu one, so that all the
translations can be copied in for free? All the basic quesions like
please choose a password are surely shared between these installers.

The installer allows choosing the installation USB its self as a target,
which I imagine would result in a disaster? People can shoot themselves
in the foot if they want I guess?

No indication of what buttons one needs to use what: space, enter, tab,
nor that there are other TTYs with documentation and how to get to them.

Enter selects and takes you to the next line when its an input box, but
it does not select and take you out of it to the button below if it is
the bottom most checkbox. one must then move to the tab button.

Down arrow in a checkbox list takes you down to the bottom of the list,
but then it will not jump out to the button below. It does take you from
Ok to Exit though, like left-right, but it wont cross the barriers.

space doesnt select menu items, but does select and move down checkbox
lists, and selects buttons

I found my self switching between enter, tab, and space to get through,
by going of intuition and thinking "do what i mean".

Perhaps Esc should escape when it makes sense.

After getting through the install with encrypted root, The install
finally fails trying to install grub with:

|Installing for i386-pc platform. grub-install: warning: this GPT
partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be
possible. grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is
required for RAID and LVM install. |

* Call for 1.2 installer testing.
@ 2020-10-09 12:44 Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2020-10-09 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

The 1.2 release is on its way. So here's the traditional call for
installer testing. This time, the CI is building latest installer
images, which should ease testing.

I propose that we first concentrate our efforts on this image:
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/download/654 which corresponds to commit
29a2eb3.

Testing different partitioning schemes on different hardware is really
important to spot issues that our virtualized automated installer tests
would be missing.

Thanks for your help,

Mathieu