Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op wo 30-03-2022 om 20:55 [+0200]: > Note that many autotools-based packages already require the addition of > autoconf and friends due to being pulled from git.  That being said, > it's somewhat hard to argue for completely dropping them, because > a. simply matching files via ".in" suffix would be error-prone > b. autoreconf should regenerate these files regardless > Therefore, my counter-proposal would be to just simply always run the > bootstrap script or autoreconf, even if the respective files are > tarballed, as well as adding autoconf and automake to the implicit > native inputs of gnu build system. It should be possible to look for ‘# Generated by GNU Autoconf’ and ‘# Makefile.in generated by automake’ lines in some 'find-generated- autotools-fies’or something. Adding autoconf & automake seems a bit much to me (gnu-build-system is not necessarily autotools-build-system, the exact required version of autoconf & automake can vary), but otherwise your proposal seems good to me. > > For some ‘early’ packages (gcc, glibc, binutils, ...), there's a > > circularity problem > The obvious solution to which would be to implement m4 in mes :) > > > [B]uilding 'configure' and 'Makefile.in' from source might not always > > be possible, but WDYT of building 'configure' & 'Makefile.in' from > > source for packages where it does not result in bootstrapping > > problems? > See above, but to reiterate, I'm generally in favor. > > Regarding tooling support, I think autotools should have an option to > build a non-bootstrapped dist tarball.  If more upstreams produced such > stripped tarballs, we wouldn't even be having that debate. Yes, would be nice if upstreams could choose to opt-out. Or maybe opt- in instead. Greetings, Maxime.