unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-01  0:35 Anthony Wang
From: Anthony Wang @ 2022-05-01  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello!

I'm a KDE contributor and free software enthusiast, and I recently started switching over some of my systems to GNU Guix. However, as an avid KDE Plasma user, I'm a bit disappointed that Plasma doesn't seem to be packaged for Guix. I did a bit of searching and found that there has been some progress towards packaging Plasma:
- https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/kde-plasma.scm
- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00426.html

I have a few questions: What is the current status of KDE Plasma on Guix? And also, how can I help or contribute?

-Anthony Wang

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - ta180m@protonmail.com - 0x8EE27F78.asc --]

* Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-01  3:06 Anthony Wang
From: Anthony Wang @ 2022-05-01  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello!

I'm a KDE contributor and free software enthusiast, and I recently started switching over some of my systems to GNU Guix. However, as an avid KDE Plasma user, I'm a bit disappointed that Plasma doesn't seem to be packaged for Guix. I did a bit of searching and found that there has been some progress towards packaging Plasma:
- https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/kde-plasma.scm
- https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00426.html

I have a few questions: What is the current status of KDE Plasma on Guix? And also, how can I help or contribute?

-Anthony Wang

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - ta180m@protonmail.com - 0x8EE27F78.asc --]

* Re: Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-01 11:30 ` Zhu Zihao
From: Zhu Zihao @ 2022-05-01 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Wang; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi! I'm glad to see there's somebody interested in KDE packaging.

Z572 have done some work here, and make kwin available on Guix.
https://github.com/Z572/guix/tree/kwin

Currently I'm planning to upgrade Extra cmake modules from 2.70 to 2.91
in upcoming staging branch. This will help us to package a more recent
version of KDE packages.

Can you figure out a minimal set of packages needed to run Plasma
desktop? We can add a milestone and checklist about it.

--
Retrieve my PGP public key:

  gpg --recv-keys D47A9C8B2AE3905B563D9135BE42B352A9F6821F

Zihao

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-01 12:29 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-05-01 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Wang, guix-devel@gnu.org

Anthony Wang schreef op zo 01-05-2022 om 03:06 [+0000]:
> Hello!
>
> I'm a KDE contributor and free software enthusiast, and I recently
> started switching over some of my systems to GNU Guix. However, as an
> avid KDE Plasma user, I'm a bit disappointed that Plasma doesn't seem
> to be packaged for Guix. I did a bit of searching and found that
> there has been some progress towards packaging Plasma:

I don't know about Plasma, but Hartmut Goebel has some repository with
updates & 100 extra KDE packages
<https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix-kde-package>.
The idea is to move them into guix
<https://lists.gnu.org/r/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00426.html>.  I don't
know the current status of that.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-01 14:46   ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2022-05-01 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, Anthony Wang

> I don't know about Plasma, but Hartmut Goebel has some repository with
> updates & 100 extra KDE packages
> https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix-kde-package.
>
> The idea is to move them into guix
> https://lists.gnu.org/r/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00426.html. I don't
>
> know the current status of that.

referring back to the wiki discussion, this is a good example for the
kind of information that should be sitting on the KDE wiki page of
Guix. probably along a short summary of its status, and a list of
developers who expressed interest in working on packaging KDE.

such a page would greatly facilitate the cooperation/effectiveness of
the interested parties.  the ability to cheaply and dynamically spawn
a sub-mailing-list/comment-thread for such sub-projects would be icing
on the cake.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-01 19:32 kiasoc5 via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: kiasoc5 via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2022-05-01 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: attila; +Cc: Guix Devel, Brendan Tildesley, Petr Hodina, Anthony Wang

Brendan Tildesley and Petr Hodina (ccd) have made great progress so far:  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50862

Brendan's patches: https://notabug.org/Brendan/guix/commits/kde-updates
Petr has been rebasing them onto Guix: https://github.com/phodina/guix/tree/patch/plasma-mobile

I guess you can help them with testing and fixing builds, hopefully they are getting close.

* Re: Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-01 21:13     ` Anthony Wang
From: Anthony Wang @ 2022-05-01 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: Maxime Devos, guix-devel@gnu.org

> referring back to the wiki discussion, this is a good example for the
> kind of information that should be sitting on the KDE wiki page of
> Guix. probably along a short summary of its status, and a list of
> developers who expressed interest in working on packaging KDE.
>

> such a page would greatly facilitate the cooperation/effectiveness of
> the interested parties. the ability to cheaply and dynamically spawn
> a sub-mailing-list/comment-thread for such sub-projects would be icing
> on the cake.

I definitely agree that having a single place to coordinate all these efforts would be very beneficial since it seems to be currently spread out all over the place.

I also found the wip-kde-plasma branch in the Guix Git repository has some made some progress too. However, this branch has not been committed to in more than a year and only supports KDE 5.19.

@ 2022-05-02  7:23 ` phodina
From: phodina @ 2022-05-02  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiasoc5, attila; +Cc: guix-devel, mail, ta180m

I'll send my updated patches on Friday. Those are rebased on Brendan's updates.

Petr

@ 2022-05-02  9:14 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2022-05-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Wang, guix-devel@gnu.org

glad to see someone to pick up this task.

Am 01.05.22 um 05:06 schrieb Anthony Wang:
> I have a few questions: What is the current status of KDE Plasma on Guix? And also, how can I help or contribute?

You can find the current state of Plasma in the „wip-kde-plasma” branch
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/?h=wip-kde-plasma>.

The top-level directory contains a 00-README-Plasma.txt
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/00-README-Plasma.txt?h=wip-kde-plasma>,
explaining the current state in detail. The branch also provides some
helper-scripts for testing, etc. I strongly recommend reading through
all of these files to find the hidden gems ;-)

Basically there are package definitions for most of the Plasma packages
(as of 5.19), kwin, etc. One of the files has a list of state per
package. Anyhow I failed to make Plasma start the actual desktop.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          |h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com                |
|www.crazy-compilers.com  | compilers which you thought are impossible |

* Re: Status of KDE Plasma
@ 2022-05-02  9:18       ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2022-05-02  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Wang, Attila Lendvai; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Am 01.05.22 um 23:13 schrieb Anthony Wang:
> I also found the wip-kde-plasma branch in the Guix Git repository has some made some progress too. However, this branch has not been committed to in more than a year and only supports KDE 5.19.

This branch intentionally is on 5.19, as the Readme says:

|Note 1: It might be worth making an older version of Plasma work, as
this an older version has less dependencies. This is why this branch
still sticks at 5.19.5. |

And to my experience Plama is a beast and taming it might be much easier
when using a less beasty version. This is why I recommend sticking with
this old version for now and update only after this works.

@ 2022-05-02  9:23   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2022-05-02  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Wang, guix-devel@gnu.org

Am 02.05.22 um 11:14 schrieb Hartmut Goebel:
> Basically there are package definitions for most of the Plasma
> packages (as of 5.19), kwin, etc. One of the files has a list of state
> per package. Anyhow I failed to make Plasma start the actual desktop.

To emphasize this: Packaging the Plasma module is basically done. But
making Plasma Desktop actually run is a major issue.

--

@ 2022-05-19 18:13 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-05-19 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Wang, guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi,

On Sun, 01 May 2022 at 00:35, Anthony Wang <ta180m@protonmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a KDE contributor and free software enthusiast, and I recently
> started switching over some of my systems to GNU Guix. However, as an
> avid KDE Plasma user, I'm a bit disappointed that Plasma doesn't seem
> to be packaged for Guix. I did a bit of searching and found that there
> has been some progress towards packaging Plasma:

> - https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/kde-plasma.scm
> - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00426.html
>
> I have a few questions: What is the current status of KDE Plasma on
> Guix? And also, how can I help or contribute?

Thanks for your interest.  From my point of view, maybe you can resume
the work you mention, try to compile, try to fix and report the
blockers.

You might be interested by

    <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Contributing>
    <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Building-from-Git>
    <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Submitting-Patches>

Please do not hesitate to ask here or on the IRC channel #guix if you
feel blocked.

Cheers,
simon