unofficial mirror of bug-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* bug#25667: store references in ~/.config/xfce4
@ 2017-02-09 10:25 Thomas Danckaert
  2020-05-03 16:32 ` bug#25667: Status? store refs " zimoun
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-02-09 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 25667

Hi,

when setting up a xfce4 desktop, the ${HOME}/.config/xfce4 directory 
contains direct references to the store, which can later be garbage 
collected:

~$ grep -r "/gnu/store" .config
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-9/14865882321.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/84x54ph8x8z2m77sln39nh5dkkjmj64g-exo-0.10.3/bin/exo-open 
--launch TerminalEmulator
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-11/14865882323.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/84x54ph8x8z2m77sln39nh5dkkjmj64g-exo-0.10.3/bin/exo-open 
--launch WebBrowser %u
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-10/14865882322.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/84x54ph8x8z2m77sln39nh5dkkjmj64g-exo-0.10.3/bin/exo-open 
--launch FileManager %u
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-12/14865882324.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/0cgfqzxsx0mimkwqmdn9z52zk0c387kw-xfce4-appfinder-4.12.0/bin/xfce4-appfinder
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          
<property name="last-image" type="string" 
value="/gnu/store/f7gfrrbwcl2xvdqmg35fnb78bkp8gjhh-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>

I think the launcher items can be replaced by the just the executables, 
without a path.  The desktop images can probably be replaced by 
/run/current-system/profile/share/backgrounds/xfce/...?

Thomas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#25667: Status? store refs in ~/.config/xfce4
  2017-02-09 10:25 bug#25667: store references in ~/.config/xfce4 Thomas Danckaert
@ 2020-05-03 16:32 ` zimoun
  2020-05-04  9:16   ` Efraim Flashner
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-03 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 25667, Thomas Danckaert

Dear Thomas,

What is the status of this bug [1]? Because Xfce4 has been updated
since more than 3 years.

Any progress?
If it is solved and/or not an issue for you anymore, then does it make
sense to close it?


Best regards,
simon

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25667




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#25667: Status? store refs in ~/.config/xfce4
  2020-05-03 16:32 ` bug#25667: Status? store refs " zimoun
@ 2020-05-04  9:16   ` Efraim Flashner
  2020-05-04 20:30     ` Thomas Danckaert
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-05-04  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: 25667, Thomas Danckaert

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2470 bytes --]

On Sun, May 03, 2020 at 06:32:47PM +0200, zimoun wrote:
> Dear Thomas,
> 
> What is the status of this bug [1]? Because Xfce4 has been updated
> since more than 3 years.
> 
> Any progress?
> If it is solved and/or not an issue for you anymore, then does it make
> sense to close it?
> 
> 
> Best regards,
> simon
> 
> [1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25667

My kids use XFCE and it looks like it's still there
kids@E2140 ~$ grep gnu\/store .config/xfce4/ -R
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          <property name="last-image" type="string" value="/gnu/store/nnvq0yrc0qr9rmzsd0wxl9y5q5a3f4rx-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          <property name="last-image" type="string" value="/gnu/store/nnvq0yrc0qr9rmzsd0wxl9y5q5a3f4rx-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          <property name="last-image" type="string" value="/gnu/store/nnvq0yrc0qr9rmzsd0wxl9y5q5a3f4rx-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          <property name="last-image" type="string" value="/gnu/store/nnvq0yrc0qr9rmzsd0wxl9y5q5a3f4rx-xfdesktop-4.12.0/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-teal.jpg"/>
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml:          <property name="last-image" type="string" value="/gnu/store/gqqd580y4g5586vaa17xwnn5jp9vzn5d-xfdesktop-4.14.1/share/backgrounds/xfce/xfce-stripes.png"/>
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-9/15095463181.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/v9qj9hxm7jj296xq3j6jkaf5z9p8m7j5-icecat-52.3.0-gnu1/bin/icecat -new-window
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-9/15095463181.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/v9qj9hxm7jj296xq3j6jkaf5z9p8m7j5-icecat-52.3.0-gnu1/bin/icecat -private-window
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-11/15197161411.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/zj34shyvw1sx1vlh1z0f9way7qq6b2kp-kodi-18.0_alpha-8.ec16dbc/bin/kodi -fs
.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-11/15197161411.desktop:Exec=/gnu/store/zj34shyvw1sx1vlh1z0f9way7qq6b2kp-kodi-18.0_alpha-8.ec16dbc/bin/kodi --standalone

I fixed the desktop files manually, but I'm not sure about the
backgrounds.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#25667: Status? store refs in ~/.config/xfce4
  2020-05-04  9:16   ` Efraim Flashner
@ 2020-05-04 20:30     ` Thomas Danckaert
  2020-05-05  6:10       ` Efraim Flashner
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2020-05-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: 25667

I switched to gnome shortly after that, but I see Efraim has already 
answered and the issue is still there.

cheers,

Thomas





^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#25667: Status? store refs in ~/.config/xfce4
  2020-05-04 20:30     ` Thomas Danckaert
@ 2020-05-05  6:10       ` Efraim Flashner
  2021-09-14 11:37         ` zimoun
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-05-05  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: 25667

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 849 bytes --]

On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 10:30:11PM +0200, Thomas Danckaert wrote:
> I switched to gnome shortly after that, but I see Efraim has already
> answered and the issue is still there.

Looking at the list again, I think what happened was special care needs
to be taken adding programs to the quick launch bar at the bottom of the
screen. As for the background images, I'm guessing that each time xfce
launches, if the references to the previous images are gone then it adds
a new one. If that's the case then the background images are fixing
themselves and the shortcuts face the same 'buyer beware' as any other
shortcut created.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#25667: Status? store refs in ~/.config/xfce4
  2020-05-05  6:10       ` Efraim Flashner
@ 2021-09-14 11:37         ` zimoun
  2021-09-14 14:24           ` Efraim Flashner
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-09-14 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Thomas Danckaert, 25667

Hi Efraim,

On Tue, 05 May 2020 at 09:10, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 10:30:11PM +0200, Thomas Danckaert wrote:
>> I switched to gnome shortly after that, but I see Efraim has already
>> answered and the issue is still there.
>
> Looking at the list again, I think what happened was special care needs
> to be taken adding programs to the quick launch bar at the bottom of the
> screen. As for the background images, I'm guessing that each time xfce
> launches, if the references to the previous images are gone then it adds
> a new one. If that's the case then the background images are fixing
> themselves and the shortcuts face the same 'buyer beware' as any other
> shortcut created.

Thanks for the explanations.  I miss what is the next action to fix the
issue.  What could it be done?

Cheers,
simon




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#25667: Status? store refs in ~/.config/xfce4
  2021-09-14 11:37         ` zimoun
@ 2021-09-14 14:24           ` Efraim Flashner
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2021-09-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Thomas Danckaert, 25667



On September 14, 2021 11:37:10 AM UTC, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Efraim,
>
>On Tue, 05 May 2020 at 09:10, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 10:30:11PM +0200, Thomas Danckaert wrote:
>>> I switched to gnome shortly after that, but I see Efraim has already
>>> answered and the issue is still there.
>>
>> Looking at the list again, I think what happened was special care needs
>> to be taken adding programs to the quick launch bar at the bottom of the
>> screen. As for the background images, I'm guessing that each time xfce
>> launches, if the references to the previous images are gone then it adds
>> a new one. If that's the case then the background images are fixing
>> themselves and the shortcuts face the same 'buyer beware' as any other
>> shortcut created.
>
>Thanks for the explanations.  I miss what is the next action to fix the
>issue.  What could it be done?
>
>Cheers,
>simon

I forgot all about this issue. Given that I haven't really seen it pop up on IRC I think I'd close it as "won't fix". I can't see good things coming from reaching into people's home directories. Maybe if there's some default applications those could be patched in the xfce package to make sure it doesn't bite those who don't have that folder yet.
-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-09-14 14:44 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2017-02-09 10:25 bug#25667: store references in ~/.config/xfce4 Thomas Danckaert
2020-05-03 16:32 ` bug#25667: Status? store refs " zimoun
2020-05-04  9:16   ` Efraim Flashner
2020-05-04 20:30     ` Thomas Danckaert
2020-05-05  6:10       ` Efraim Flashner
2021-09-14 11:37         ` zimoun
2021-09-14 14:24           ` Efraim Flashner

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).