unofficial mirror of bug-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* bug#36438: git-fetch issue
@ 2019-06-29 21:09 Julien Lepiller
  2019-07-17 20:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2021-11-19 15:20 ` Julien Lepiller
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-06-29 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 36438

Hi, I'm trying to build an old version of kotlin from its git
repository. Unfortunately, there is an issue when checking out the
repository. Here is the log (truncated in the list of branches and
tags):


environment variable `PATH' set to
`/gnu/store/q09sy224qnxrp982z4xfaxi19721mjx8-gzip-1.9/bin:/gnu/store/ipx79bfj2mrc8npj7s3qi3zri11jfhaw-tar-1.30/bin'
Initialized empty Git repository
in /gnu/store/z4mqw5b9vq2ki0rxaix2wsmhmxq14s6a-kotlin-0.4.424-checkout/.git/
error: Server does not allow request for unadvertised object
2f47e30a1a12347759dbb8707f5137178de65696 Failed to do a shallow fetch;
retrying a full fetch... From https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin
 * [new branch]      1.0.1                       -> origin/1.0.1
 * [new branch]      1.0.1_/br141                -> origin/1.0.1_/br141
 * [new branch]      1.0.1_/br145                -> origin/1.0.1_/br145
...
 * [new tag]                 v1.3.40-eap-32              ->
v1.3.40-eap-32
 * [new tag]                 v1.3.40-eap-67              ->
v1.3.40-eap-67 Note: checking out
'2f47e30a1a12347759dbb8707f5137178de65696'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in
this state without impacting any branches by performing another
checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again.
Example:

  git checkout -b <new-branch-name>

HEAD is now at 2f47e30a1a1 Fixed UnsupportedOperationException when a
namespace is used in place of an expression. warning: failed to
delete .git/refs/tags/rc1.0.0-IJ143-5-143.???2072: No such file or
directory warning: failed to
delete .git/refs/tags/1.0.3-eap-13-IJ143-2-143.???2167.???2: No such
file or directory Backtrace: 11 (primitive-load
"/gnu/store/21xc0h6f0c1zngfgza7526w32i0?") In ice-9/eval.scm: 293:34 10
(_ #<directory (guile-user) 5ce140>) In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    829:9  9 (catch _ _ #<procedure 87d360 at ./guix/build/git.scm:?> ?)
In ./guix/build/git.scm:
     76:6  8 (_)
In ice-9/ftw.scm:
   452:32  7 (loop _ _ #(64768 20746206 16877 7 999 30000 0 4096 # ?) ?)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
   466:18  6 (fold #<procedure 8812e0 at ice-9/ftw.scm:452:38 (subd?> ?)
In unknown file:
           5 (_ #<procedure 6da7b0 at ice-9/ftw.scm:454:44 ()> #<pr?> ?)
In ice-9/ftw.scm:
   452:32  4 (loop _ _ #(64768 20746213 16877 5 999 30000 0 4096 # ?) ?)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
   466:18  3 (fold #<procedure 528f60 at ice-9/ftw.scm:452:38 (subd?> ?)
In unknown file:
           2 (_ #<procedure 6da780 at ice-9/ftw.scm:454:44 ()> #<pr?> ?)
In ice-9/ftw.scm:
   463:35  1 (loop _ _ _ _ _)
In unknown file:
           0 (rmdir ".git/refs/tags")

ERROR: In procedure rmdir:
In procedure rmdir: Directory not empty

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#36438: git-fetch issue
  2019-06-29 21:09 bug#36438: git-fetch issue Julien Lepiller
@ 2019-07-17 20:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2019-07-18  6:45   ` Julien Lepiller
  2021-11-19 15:20 ` Julien Lepiller
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-07-17 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: 36438

Hello,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> HEAD is now at 2f47e30a1a1 Fixed UnsupportedOperationException when a
> namespace is used in place of an expression. warning: failed to
> delete .git/refs/tags/rc1.0.0-IJ143-5-143.???2072: No such file or
> directory warning: failed to
> delete .git/refs/tags/1.0.3-eap-13-IJ143-2-143.???2167.???2: No such
> file or directory Backtrace: 11 (primitive-load
> "/gnu/store/21xc0h6f0c1zngfgza7526w32i0?") In ice-9/eval.scm: 293:34 10
> (_ #<directory (guile-user) 5ce140>) In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>     829:9  9 (catch _ _ #<procedure 87d360 at ./guix/build/git.scm:?> ?)
> In ./guix/build/git.scm:
>      76:6  8 (_)
> In ice-9/ftw.scm:
>    452:32  7 (loop _ _ #(64768 20746206 16877 7 999 30000 0 4096 # ?) ?)
> In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
>    466:18  6 (fold #<procedure 8812e0 at ice-9/ftw.scm:452:38 (subd?> ?)
> In unknown file:
>            5 (_ #<procedure 6da7b0 at ice-9/ftw.scm:454:44 ()> #<pr?> ?)
> In ice-9/ftw.scm:
>    452:32  4 (loop _ _ #(64768 20746213 16877 5 999 30000 0 4096 # ?) ?)
> In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
>    466:18  3 (fold #<procedure 528f60 at ice-9/ftw.scm:452:38 (subd?> ?)
> In unknown file:
>            2 (_ #<procedure 6da780 at ice-9/ftw.scm:454:44 ()> #<pr?> ?)
> In ice-9/ftw.scm:
>    463:35  1 (loop _ _ _ _ _)
> In unknown file:
>            0 (rmdir ".git/refs/tags")
>
> ERROR: In procedure rmdir:
> In procedure rmdir: Directory not empty

It looks like .git/refs/tags contains a file with a non-ASCII name.

The ‘git-fetch’ derivation, in (guix git-download), runs in the C
locale, so Guile ends up substituting question marks to non-ASCII
characters.  Thus, ‘delete-file-recursively’ fails to delete the
offending file, and the whole operation fails.

The fix, as usual, would be to set GUIX_LOCPATH there to point to
(file-append glibc-utf8-locale "/lib/locale").

Is it worth it, though?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#36438: git-fetch issue
  2019-07-17 20:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2019-07-18  6:45   ` Julien Lepiller
  2019-07-18 11:15     ` Efraim Flashner
  2019-07-18 13:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-07-18  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 36438

Le 17 juillet 2019 22:00:43 GMT+02:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> a écrit :
>Hello,
>
>Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
>
>> HEAD is now at 2f47e30a1a1 Fixed UnsupportedOperationException when a
>> namespace is used in place of an expression. warning: failed to
>> delete .git/refs/tags/rc1.0.0-IJ143-5-143.???2072: No such file or
>> directory warning: failed to
>> delete .git/refs/tags/1.0.3-eap-13-IJ143-2-143.???2167.???2: No such
>> file or directory Backtrace: 11 (primitive-load
>> "/gnu/store/21xc0h6f0c1zngfgza7526w32i0?") In ice-9/eval.scm: 293:34
>10
>> (_ #<directory (guile-user) 5ce140>) In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>>     829:9  9 (catch _ _ #<procedure 87d360 at ./guix/build/git.scm:?>
>?)
>> In ./guix/build/git.scm:
>>      76:6  8 (_)
>> In ice-9/ftw.scm:
>>    452:32  7 (loop _ _ #(64768 20746206 16877 7 999 30000 0 4096 # ?)
>?)
>> In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
>>    466:18  6 (fold #<procedure 8812e0 at ice-9/ftw.scm:452:38 (subd?>
>?)
>> In unknown file:
>>            5 (_ #<procedure 6da7b0 at ice-9/ftw.scm:454:44 ()> #<pr?>
>?)
>> In ice-9/ftw.scm:
>>    452:32  4 (loop _ _ #(64768 20746213 16877 5 999 30000 0 4096 # ?)
>?)
>> In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
>>    466:18  3 (fold #<procedure 528f60 at ice-9/ftw.scm:452:38 (subd?>
>?)
>> In unknown file:
>>            2 (_ #<procedure 6da780 at ice-9/ftw.scm:454:44 ()> #<pr?>
>?)
>> In ice-9/ftw.scm:
>>    463:35  1 (loop _ _ _ _ _)
>> In unknown file:
>>            0 (rmdir ".git/refs/tags")
>>
>> ERROR: In procedure rmdir:
>> In procedure rmdir: Directory not empty
>
>It looks like .git/refs/tags contains a file with a non-ASCII name.
>
>The ‘git-fetch’ derivation, in (guix git-download), runs in the C
>locale, so Guile ends up substituting question marks to non-ASCII
>characters.  Thus, ‘delete-file-recursively’ fails to delete the
>offending file, and the whole operation fails.
>
>The fix, as usual, would be to set GUIX_LOCPATH there to point to
>(file-append glibc-utf8-locale "/lib/locale").
>
>Is it worth it, though?
>
>Thanks,
>Ludo’.

If it allows me to build and bootstrap kotlin, I think so :)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#36438: git-fetch issue
  2019-07-18  6:45   ` Julien Lepiller
@ 2019-07-18 11:15     ` Efraim Flashner
  2019-07-18 12:47       ` Julien Lepiller
  2019-07-18 13:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2019-07-18 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: 36438

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 569 bytes --]

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:45:01AM +0200, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> If it allows me to build and bootstrap kotlin, I think so :)
> 

Not related to the bug, but there's a Debian GSoC project to
(apparently) bootstrap kotlin from ources in Debian¹. I thought that
might be of interest to you :)

¹ https://salsa.debian.org/m36-guest/kotlin-1.3.30

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#36438: git-fetch issue
  2019-07-18 11:15     ` Efraim Flashner
@ 2019-07-18 12:47       ` Julien Lepiller
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-07-18 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: 36438

Le 18 juillet 2019 13:15:56 GMT+02:00, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> a écrit :
>On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:45:01AM +0200, Julien Lepiller wrote:
>> If it allows me to build and bootstrap kotlin, I think so :)
>> 
>
>Not related to the bug, but there's a Debian GSoC project to
>(apparently) bootstrap kotlin from ources in Debian¹. I thought that
>might be of interest to you :)
>
>¹ https://salsa.debian.org/m36-guest/kotlin-1.3.30

I've talked with them, but the project (at jeast for now) is to bootstrap from an older binary version, not entirely from source. I'm still interested by their results :)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#36438: git-fetch issue
  2019-07-18  6:45   ` Julien Lepiller
  2019-07-18 11:15     ` Efraim Flashner
@ 2019-07-18 13:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-07-18 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: 36438

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> Le 17 juillet 2019 22:00:43 GMT+02:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> a écrit :
>>The ‘git-fetch’ derivation, in (guix git-download), runs in the C
>>locale, so Guile ends up substituting question marks to non-ASCII
>>characters.  Thus, ‘delete-file-recursively’ fails to delete the
>>offending file, and the whole operation fails.
>>
>>The fix, as usual, would be to set GUIX_LOCPATH there to point to
>>(file-append glibc-utf8-locale "/lib/locale").
>>
>>Is it worth it, though?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ludo’.
>
> If it allows me to build and bootstrap kotlin, I think so :)

Fair enough.  Go for it!

Ludo’.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#36438: git-fetch issue
  2019-06-29 21:09 bug#36438: git-fetch issue Julien Lepiller
  2019-07-17 20:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2021-11-19 15:20 ` Julien Lepiller
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-11-19 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 36438-close

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 52 bytes --]

I don't have this issue anymore, so closing. Thanks!

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 93 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-11-19 15:21 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-06-29 21:09 bug#36438: git-fetch issue Julien Lepiller
2019-07-17 20:00 ` Ludovic Courtès
2019-07-18  6:45   ` Julien Lepiller
2019-07-18 11:15     ` Efraim Flashner
2019-07-18 12:47       ` Julien Lepiller
2019-07-18 13:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
2021-11-19 15:20 ` Julien Lepiller

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).