unofficial mirror of bug-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* bug#46669: Godot fails to start
@ 2021-02-20 23:35 Vinicius Monego
  2021-02-21  0:37 ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Vinicius Monego @ 2021-02-20 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 46669


Godot fails to start with the following message:

> Godot Engine v3.2.3.stable.custom_build - https://godotengine.org
> Input method doesn't support any styles
> free(): invalid pointer
> Aborted

I read it's a bug in libx11 version 1.6.10. It should be fixed by
upgrading to 1.6.12:

https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/40966




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#46669: Godot fails to start
  2021-02-20 23:35 bug#46669: Godot fails to start Vinicius Monego
@ 2021-02-21  0:37 ` Leo Famulari
  2021-02-21  9:05   ` Maxime Devos
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-02-21  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Monego; +Cc: 46669

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 08:35:51PM -0300, Vinicius Monego wrote:
> 
> Godot fails to start with the following message:
> 
> > Godot Engine v3.2.3.stable.custom_build - https://godotengine.org
> > Input method doesn't support any styles
> > free(): invalid pointer
> > Aborted
> 
> I read it's a bug in libx11 version 1.6.10. It should be fixed by
> upgrading to 1.6.12:
> 
> https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/40966

It will be while before libx11 is updated in Guix, because changing it
causes a huge number of packages to be rebuilt:

$ guix refresh --list-dependent libx11
Building the following 5793 packages would ensure 12459 dependent packages are rebuilt:

Is there anything we can change in godot, in the meantime?




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#46669: Godot fails to start
  2021-02-21  0:37 ` Leo Famulari
@ 2021-02-21  9:05   ` Maxime Devos
  2021-02-21 11:07     ` Leo Prikler
  2021-02-24 17:03     ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-02-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Vinicius Monego; +Cc: 46669

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 823 bytes --]

Hi,

On Sat, 2021-02-20 at 19:37 -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> [...]
> It will be while before libx11 is updated in Guix, because changing it
> causes a huge number of packages to be rebuilt:
> 
> $ guix refresh --list-dependent libx11
> Building the following 5793 packages would ensure 12459 dependent packages are rebuilt:
> 
> Is there anything we can change in godot, in the meantime?

Is there any reason the ("libx11" ,libx11) cannot simply be replaced with
("libx11" ,libx11-fixed) in the package inputs for godot, where libx11 is
the updated libx11?  Or alternatively, could the ‘grafts’ mechanism be used?
Or is that reserved for security updates?

Commenting out the line in
  https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/40966#issuecomment-667686370
might also work.

Greetings,
Maxime

[-- Attachment #2: This is a digitally signed message part --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 260 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#46669: Godot fails to start
  2021-02-21  9:05   ` Maxime Devos
@ 2021-02-21 11:07     ` Leo Prikler
  2021-02-24 17:03     ` Leo Famulari
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-02-21 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos, Leo Famulari, Vinicius Monego; +Cc: 46669

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 21.02.2021, 10:05 +0100 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sat, 2021-02-20 at 19:37 -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > [...]
> > It will be while before libx11 is updated in Guix, because changing
> > it
> > causes a huge number of packages to be rebuilt:
> > 
> > $ guix refresh --list-dependent libx11
> > Building the following 5793 packages would ensure 12459 dependent
> > packages are rebuilt:
> > 
> > Is there anything we can change in godot, in the meantime?
> 
> Is there any reason the ("libx11" ,libx11) cannot simply be replaced
> with
> ("libx11" ,libx11-fixed) in the package inputs for godot, where
> libx11 is
> the updated libx11?  Or alternatively, could the ‘grafts’ mechanism
> be used?
> Or is that reserved for security updates?
In my opinion we should graft libx11, as long as it doesn't
inadvertently introduce any issues (which could however be grafted
again once they become noticed).  The way the original bug was fixed
previously caused similar issues in other applications, such as Emacs,
and fixes in those applications usually result in disabling XIM
altogether.  This means, that for applications, which don't ship their
own input mechanisms writing anything other than Latin becomes hard.

Regards,
Leo





^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#46669: Godot fails to start
  2021-02-21  9:05   ` Maxime Devos
  2021-02-21 11:07     ` Leo Prikler
@ 2021-02-24 17:03     ` Leo Famulari
  2021-02-24 17:47       ` Maxime Devos
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-02-24 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Vinicius Monego, 46669

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1068 bytes --]

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 10:05:53AM +0100, Maxime Devos wrote:
> Is there any reason the ("libx11" ,libx11) cannot simply be replaced with
> ("libx11" ,libx11-fixed) in the package inputs for godot, where libx11 is
> the updated libx11?  Or alternatively, could the ‘grafts’ mechanism be used?
> Or is that reserved for security updates?

It's reserved for security updates, and other very serious problems. An
incompatibility with a single package — especially something
non-critical like a game engine — does not qualify.

One reason to limit the use of grafts is that they can mask other
compatibility problems. For example, we grafted FreeType in October
2020. In December, we "ungrafted" it, and this revealed that the new
grafted version of FreeType had never worked with our VTK package. But,
since we were still compiling VTK with the old FreeType, and then
patching the compiled VTK objects to refer to the new FreeType, the
problem was hidden for several months:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00292.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 833 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#46669: Godot fails to start
  2021-02-24 17:03     ` Leo Famulari
@ 2021-02-24 17:47       ` Maxime Devos
  2021-02-24 20:02         ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-02-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: 46669

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 353 bytes --]

On Wed, 2021-02-24 at 12:03 -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> [...]
> 
> It's reserved for security updates, and other very serious problems. An
> incompatibility with a single package — especially something
> non-critical like a game engine — does not qualify.
> 
> [...]

Thank you for your response!  This makes Guix a little clearer to me.

[-- Attachment #2: This is a digitally signed message part --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 260 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#46669: Godot fails to start
  2021-02-24 17:47       ` Maxime Devos
@ 2021-02-24 20:02         ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-02-24 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: 46669

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 06:47:59PM +0100, Maxime Devos wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-02-24 at 12:03 -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > [...]
> > 
> > It's reserved for security updates, and other very serious problems. An
> > incompatibility with a single package — especially something
> > non-critical like a game engine — does not qualify.
> > 
> > [...]
> 
> Thank you for your response!  This makes Guix a little clearer to me.

To elaborate some more... the problem is that the version of Godot we
package is not compatible with the version of libx11 we package, right?

If that's so, it's basically a normal situation. There are lots of
packages for which we must delay updates until the rest of the distro
can support them.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-02-24 20:04 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-02-20 23:35 bug#46669: Godot fails to start Vinicius Monego
2021-02-21  0:37 ` Leo Famulari
2021-02-21  9:05   ` Maxime Devos
2021-02-21 11:07     ` Leo Prikler
2021-02-24 17:03     ` Leo Famulari
2021-02-24 17:47       ` Maxime Devos
2021-02-24 20:02         ` Leo Famulari

unofficial mirror of bug-guix@gnu.org 

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-bugs/0 guix-bugs/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-bugs guix-bugs/ https://yhetil.org/guix-bugs \
		bug-guix@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-bugs

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.bugs
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.bugs


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git