unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile-db
@ 2008-10-14 19:36 betoes
From: betoes @ 2008-10-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello list,

In the Debian distro, there is a packge named guile-db, which refers to
a Berkeley DB wrap for Guile. Do someone know if it is active? If there
is a repository or web page? I tried the maintainer and author e-mails
with no success.

Regards
Betoes

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-14 20:38 ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2008-10-14 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: betoes; +Cc: guile-user

2008/10/14 betoes <betoes@member.fsf.org>:
> Hello list,
>
> In the Debian distro, there is a packge named guile-db, which refers to a
> Berkeley DB wrap for Guile. Do someone know if it is active? If there is a
> repository or web page? I tried the maintainer and author e-mails with no
> success.

Dunno. However, fyi, I'm maintaining guile-dbi, which wraps
postgres and mysql.

--linas

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-15  2:39   ` betoes
From: betoes @ 2008-10-15  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 15:38 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> 2008/10/14 betoes <betoes@member.fsf.org>:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > In the Debian distro, there is a packge named guile-db, which refers to a
> > Berkeley DB wrap for Guile. Do someone know if it is active? If there is a
> > repository or web page? I tried the maintainer and author e-mails with no
> > success.
>
> Dunno. However, fyi, I'm maintaining guile-dbi, which wraps
> postgres and mysql.

guile-dbi is great! I'm using it, thanks!

Berkeley DB is a low-level database, not a high level as SQL flavors, it
can be used as the base of them, it is GPL. In this way, for example, it
is the base of Oracle SQL servers. It is based on key-data structure,
with some add ons as environments, transactions, secondary databases
(for dynamic indexes) and logging. Also it is usefull to access data in
config files in some applications. It is like gnu dbm (gdbm), with some
variations...

Regards,
Betoes

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-15  7:06   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-10-15  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth "Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com>:
> 2008/10/14 betoes <betoes@member.fsf.org>:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> In the Debian distro, there is a packge named guile-db, which refers to a
>> Berkeley DB wrap for Guile. Do someone know if it is active? If there is a
>> repository or web page? I tried the maintainer and author e-mails with no
>> success.
>
> Dunno. However, fyi, I'm maintaining guile-dbi, which wraps
> postgres and mysql.

Do you happen to know how guile-dbi's postgres wrapping compare with
guile-pg, feature-wise?

Seb

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-15 19:08     ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2008-10-15 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: betoes; +Cc: guile-user

2008/10/14 betoes <betoes@member.fsf.org>:
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 15:38 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> 2008/10/14 betoes <betoes@member.fsf.org>:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> In the Debian distro, there is a packge named guile-db, which refers to a
>> Berkeley DB wrap for Guile. Do someone know if it is active? If there is a
>> repository or web page? I tried the maintainer and author e-mails with no
>> success.
>
> Dunno. However, fyi, I'm maintaining guile-dbi, which wraps
> postgres and mysql.
>
> guile-dbi is great! I'm using it, thanks!
>
> Berkeley DB is a low-level database, not a high level as SQL flavors, it can
> be used as the base of them, it is GPL.

I know what BDB is.

I tend to avoid it because it's performance can be disasterous
for certain database loads. I (re-)discovered this summer that
BDB insists on always flushing key indexes to disk, and there seems to
be no way to tell it to not do this.  This is OK, I guess,
if you need your DB to be hardend against index corruption in
the event of a power failure, but it sucks for performance.

If you are trying to create an new DB by adding
millions of new key-value pairs, this "feature" is utterly
un-needed (if there's a power failure, just rebuild the DB
from scratch) and it will absolutely kill performance.  By
contrast, you can tell Postgres to not build indexes until
later, and to not write anything to disk for as long as it can.
For this case, postgres is orders of magnitude faster than
BDB, taking hours instead of days to build multi-million
record databases..

I was unable to find any way of turning off this "feature"
in BDB, so for me, its a non-starter. Shame, since otherwise
for me, I don't need 99% of the rest of SQL, and BDB might
indeed have been simpler/faster on the query side.

--linas

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-15 19:15     ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2008-10-15 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

2008/10/15 Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>:
> Quoth "Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com>:
>> Dunno. However, fyi, I'm maintaining guile-dbi, which wraps
>> postgres and mysql.
>
> Do you happen to know how guile-dbi's postgres wrapping compare with
> guile-pg, feature-wise?

Dunno. guile-dbi provides just enough to run generic SQL
statements, and get back records, one at a time, as alists.
Nothing more.

I have not tried anything aside from this (e.g. no idea of
what happens if you ask it to list all tables, or if you try
to use BLOBs, or access tables where one of the columns
is of type 'money', or one of the dozens of date/time types,
etc.)

--linas

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-16 19:59       ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-10-16 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth "Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com>:
> 2008/10/15 Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>:
>> Quoth "Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com>:
>>> Dunno. However, fyi, I'm maintaining guile-dbi, which wraps
>>> postgres and mysql.
>>
>> Do you happen to know how guile-dbi's postgres wrapping compare with
>> guile-pg, feature-wise?
>
> Dunno. guile-dbi provides just enough to run generic SQL
> statements, and get back records, one at a time, as alists.
> Nothing more.
>
> I have not tried anything aside from this (e.g. no idea of
> what happens if you ask it to list all tables, or if you try
> to use BLOBs, or access tables where one of the columns
> is of type 'money', or one of the dozens of date/time types,
> etc.)

guile-pg is definitely more feature-full in that case. and ttn's
guile-1.4 compatible guile-pg is much more fetaure-full than the
guile-1.6 compatible guile-pg generally available through distros.

If anyone is interested in porting and maintaining ttn's guile-pg so
that it's compatible with guile-1.8 and upwards, in return for bounties,
please contact me off-list.

Sebastian

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-16 23:11         ` Linas Vepstas
From: Linas Vepstas @ 2008-10-16 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

2008/10/16 Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>:

> guile-pg is definitely more feature-full in that case. and ttn's
> guile-1.4 compatible guile-pg is much more fetaure-full than the
> guile-1.6 compatible guile-pg generally available through distros.

What does it do? What are the features?  I've been coding in
sql on and off for a decade, I can't imagine what more one really
needs from the API ... silly me.

--linas

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-17 11:04           ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-10-17 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth "Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@gmail.com>:
> 2008/10/16 Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>:
>
>> guile-pg is definitely more feature-full in that case. and ttn's
>> guile-1.4 compatible guile-pg is much more fetaure-full than the
>> guile-1.6 compatible guile-pg generally available through distros.
>
> What does it do? What are the features?  I've been coding in
> sql on and off for a decade, I can't imagine what more one really
> needs from the API ... silly me.

I don't do much else myself.

Here's the Procedure Index for the 1.6 compatible guile-pg which I'm
using with guile-1.8 (with deprecated feature warnings turned off!).

guile-pg consists of a single module (database postgres).

* column-name:                           Column Definitions.
* dbcoltype-lookup:                      Types Conversion.
* dbcoltype:default:                     Types Conversion.
* dbcoltype:name:                        Types Conversion.
* dbcoltype:objectifier:                 Types Conversion.
* dbcoltype:stringifier:                 Types Conversion.
* dbcoltypes:                            Types Conversion.
* define-db-col-type:                    Types Conversion.
* define-db-col-type-array-variant:      Types Conversion.
* describe-table!:                       Introspection.
* for-each-tuple:                        Result Transforms.
* infer-defs:                            Introspection.
* objectifiers:                          Column Definitions.
* oid-type-name-cache:                   Types Conversion.
* pg-backend-pid:                        Database Connections.
* pg-binary-tuples?:                     Retrieving Data.
* pg-cmdtuples:                          Retrieving Data.
* pg-connectdb:                          Database Connections.
* pg-connection?:                        Database Connections.
* pg-endcopy:                            Writing/Reading Data.
* pg-error-message:                      Retrieving Data.
* pg-exec:                               Retrieving Data.
* pg-fmod:                               Retrieving Data.
* pg-fname:                              Retrieving Data.
* pg-fnumber:                            Retrieving Data.
* pg-fsize:                              Retrieving Data.
* pg-ftype:                              Retrieving Data.
* pg-get-client-data:                    Database Connections.
* pg-get-connection:                     Retrieving Data.
* pg-get-db:                             Database Connections.
* pg-get-host:                           Database Connections.
* pg-get-options:                        Database Connections.
* pg-get-pass:                           Database Connections.
* pg-get-port:                           Database Connections.
* pg-get-tty:                            Database Connections.
* pg-get-user:                           Database Connections.
* pg-getisnull:                          Retrieving Data.
* pg-getlength:                          Retrieving Data.
* pg-getline:                            Writing/Reading Data.
* pg-getvalue:                           Retrieving Data.
* pg-guile-pg-loaded:                    Miscellaneous.
* pg-guile-pg-module-config-stamp:       Miscellaneous.
* pg-guile-pg-module-version:            Miscellaneous.
* pg-guile-pg-version:                   Miscellaneous.
* pg-lo-creat:                           Large Objects.
* pg-lo-export:                          Large Objects.
* pg-lo-get-connection:                  Large Objects.
* pg-lo-get-oid:                         Large Objects.
* pg-lo-import:                          Large Objects.
* pg-lo-open:                            Large Objects.
* pg-lo-read:                            Large Objects.
* pg-lo-seek:                            Large Objects.
* pg-lo-tell:                            Large Objects.
* pg-lo-unlink:                          Large Objects.
* pg-make-print-options:                 Writing/Reading Data.
* pg-nfields:                            Retrieving Data.
* pg-ntuples:                            Retrieving Data.
* pg-oid-status:                         Retrieving Data.
* pg-oid-value:                          Retrieving Data.
* pg-print:                              Writing/Reading Data.
* pg-putline:                            Writing/Reading Data.
* pg-reset:                              Database Connections.
* pg-result-status:                      Retrieving Data.
* pg-result?:                            Retrieving Data.
* pg-set-client-data!:                   Database Connections.
* pg-trace:                              Miscellaneous.
* pg-untrace:                            Miscellaneous.
* pgtable-manager:                       Single-Table Abstraction.
* result->object-alist:                  Result Transforms.
* result->object-alists:                 Result Transforms.
* result-field->object-list:             Result Transforms.
* sql-pre:                               Single-Table Abstraction.
* stringifiers:                          Column Definitions.
* tuples-result->table:                  Single-Table Abstraction.
* type-name:                             Column Definitions.
* type-options:                          Column Definitions.
* where-clausifier:                      Single-Table Abstraction.

ttn has probably done some work on the same module (database postgres)
and written a whole set of new modules abstraction and convenience
modules:

 http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile-pg/

but...

"To build Guile-PG you need to have installed both the PostgreSQL
 frontend library libpq, and a version of Guile that can load binary
 module (a b c) from file a/b/c.so or a/b/c/libc.la under `%load-path'."

I believe the last bit means it'll work with guile-1.4 or guile-1.6
(because the ability was only deprecated at this stage), but guile-1.8
definitely no longer has this ability.

Sebastian

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-17 11:49             ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2008-10-17 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

  but...

  "To build Guile-PG you need to have installed both the PostgreSQL
   frontend library libpq, and a version of Guile that can load binary
   module (a b c) from file a/b/c.so or a/b/c/libc.la under `%load-path'."

  I believe the last bit means it'll work with guile-1.4 or guile-1.6
  (because the ability was only deprecated at this stage), but guile-1.8
  definitely no longer has this ability.

True, but to make this work in 1.8 you just have to write a single .scm
file for the module which loads the shlib and re-exports all the right
symbols.  And maybe a little else, but I am pretty sure not much.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-20  9:11               ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-10-20  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>:
>   but...
>
>   "To build Guile-PG you need to have installed both the PostgreSQL
>    frontend library libpq, and a version of Guile that can load binary
>    module (a b c) from file a/b/c.so or a/b/c/libc.la under `%load-path'."
>
>   I believe the last bit means it'll work with guile-1.4 or guile-1.6
>   (because the ability was only deprecated at this stage), but guile-1.8
>   definitely no longer has this ability.
>
> True, but to make this work in 1.8 you just have to write a single .scm
> file for the module which loads the shlib and re-exports all the right
> symbols.  And maybe a little else, but I am pretty sure not much.

Easy for a C programmer no doubt, but not so easy for a lowly scripter
like myself.

ttn's convenience modules are no doubt useful, but perhaps a higher
priority for the future of Guile and Postgres is to update the
'standard' guile-pg (currently shipped by Debian depending on guile-1.6)
so that it no longer depends on 1.6 and ceases to use procedures
deprecated under 1.8.

At the moment, there is no out-of-the-box guile-1.8/guile-pg solution,
which strikes me as unfortunate.

ttn notes that he took over maintainership of guile-pg from the author
Ian Grant in 1999.

I've written to Sam Hocevar (the Debian package maintainer of guile-pg)
to see who he believes the upstream maintainer to be).

Seb

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-20 11:44                 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2008-10-20 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

  > True, but to make this work in 1.8 you just have to write a single .scm
  > file for the module which loads the shlib and re-exports all the right
  > symbols.  And maybe a little else, but I am pretty sure not much.

  Easy for a C programmer no doubt, but not so easy for a lowly scripter
  like myself.

It's a scm file, not C.

  ttn's convenience modules are no doubt useful, but perhaps a higher
  priority for the future of Guile and Postgres is to update the
  'standard' guile-pg (currently shipped by Debian depending on guile-1.6)
  so that it no longer depends on 1.6 and ceases to use procedures
  deprecated under 1.8.

It's less work to write the wrapper to ttn's version.  But if you want
to do that and host it somewhere, go right ahead.

  I've written to Sam Hocevar (the Debian package maintainer of guile-pg)
  to see who he believes the upstream maintainer to be).

I think you are referring to guile-pg 0.07

The 'modern' guile-pg maintained by ttn is at:

  http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile-pg/

The sourceforge version appears to be vanishing.

I switched pkgsrc to ttn's version long ago.

@ 2008-10-20 18:15                 ` Clinton Ebadi
From: Clinton Ebadi @ 2008-10-20 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

> Quoth Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>:
>>   but...
>>
>>   "To build Guile-PG you need to have installed both the PostgreSQL
>>    frontend library libpq, and a version of Guile that can load binary
>>    module (a b c) from file a/b/c.so or a/b/c/libc.la under `%load-path'."
>>
>>   I believe the last bit means it'll work with guile-1.4 or guile-1.6
>>   (because the ability was only deprecated at this stage), but guile-1.8
>>   definitely no longer has this ability.
>>
>> True, but to make this work in 1.8 you just have to write a single .scm
>> file for the module which loads the shlib and re-exports all the right
>> symbols.  And maybe a little else, but I am pretty sure not much.
>
> Easy for a C programmer no doubt, but not so easy for a lowly scripter
> like myself.

  (define-module (pg whatever)
    #:export (guile-pg symbols ...))

  (load-extension "libwhateverpg" "guile_pg_init")

Is roughly what you need. Assuming that there is an init function in
guile-pg that creates all of bindings for the library which, if I am
remembering how the autoloading magic works, it has to. This is
definitely something that anyone could do (just find the guile-pg init
function and export every scm_define_gsubr etc.).

--
Lindsay (Carlton): nighttime baker! sounds a little iffy

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-20 19:25 dsmich
From: dsmich @ 2008-10-20 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clinton Ebadi; +Cc: guile-user, Sebastian Tennant

---- Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> wrote:

>   (define-module (pg whatever)
>     #:export (guile-pg symbols ...))
>
>   (load-extension "libwhateverpg" "guile_pg_init")
>
> Is roughly what you need. Assuming that there is an init function in
> guile-pg that creates all of bindings for the library which, if I am
> remembering how the autoloading magic works, it has to. This is
> definitely something that anyone could do (just find the guile-pg init
> function and export every scm_define_gsubr etc.).

Yes, this needs to be done, but there is quite a bit more work that has to happen.

The C code uses features and interfaces from Guile 1.4 that are deprecated in 1.6 and completely removed in 1.8.  You just can't compile and link the C code against a 1.8 Guile.

-Dale

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-22  9:18                   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-10-22  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth <dsmich@roadrunner.com>:
> ---- Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org> wrote:
>
>>   (define-module (pg whatever)
>>     #:export (guile-pg symbols ...))
>>
>>   (load-extension "libwhateverpg" "guile_pg_init")
>>
>> Is roughly what you need. Assuming that there is an init function in
>> guile-pg that creates all of bindings for the library which, if I am
>> remembering how the autoloading magic works, it has to. This is
>> definitely something that anyone could do (just find the guile-pg init
>> function and export every scm_define_gsubr etc.).
>
> Yes, this needs to be done, but there is quite a bit more work that
> has to happen.
>
> The C code uses features and interfaces from Guile 1.4 that are
> deprecated in 1.6 and completely removed in 1.8.  You just can't
> compile and link the C code against a 1.8 Guile.

Thanks Dale.  I felt certain that it wasn't as straight forward as Greg
suggests, having a vague memory of reading an earlier thread in which
this was diuscussed.

> I think you are referring to guile-pg 0.07

I'm referring to whichever guile-pg you get when you issue the command
'apt-get install guile-pg' on a stock Debian box.

> The sourceforge version appears to be vanishing.

The 'sourceforge version'?

> I switched pkgsrc to ttn's version long ago.

Please can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying there's a
Debian package of ttn's guile-pg?

Sebastian

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-22 12:40                     ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2008-10-22 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

>> Yes, this needs to be done, but there is quite a bit more work that
>> has to happen.
>>
>> The C code uses features and interfaces from Guile 1.4 that are
>> deprecated in 1.6 and completely removed in 1.8.  You just can't
>> compile and link the C code against a 1.8 Guile.
>
> Thanks Dale.  I felt certain that it wasn't as straight forward as Greg
> suggests, having a vague memory of reading an earlier thread in which
> this was diuscussed.

OK - I thought I had made this work at some point, but it may have been on 1.6

>> I think you are referring to guile-pg 0.07
>
> I'm referring to whichever guile-pg you get when you issue the command
> 'apt-get install guile-pg' on a stock Debian box.

Sorry, but that means you don't know Which version it is.

>> The sourceforge version appears to be vanishing.
>
> The 'sourceforge version'?

There are two places where one can actually get guile-pg.  Here, I am
ignoring "distributions".  At some point, guile-pg was put on
sourceforge, and had version 0.07.  It was at a URL that looked like

  http://guile-pg.sourceforge.net/

and the project page is at

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/guile-pg/

The date on the README is July, 2000.

Then, Thien-Thi Nguyen (ttn) took over maintenance from Ian Grant, I
believe with Ian's blessing.  The first ttn release was 0.08 on
2002-12-11.  His code is available at the following URL, and you can see
that it is still actively maintained, with a release last May:

  http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile-pg/

I believe that ttn tried to get sourceforge to point to his page as the
successor, but that they won't do that.  Hence the continuing confusion.

>> I switched pkgsrc to ttn's version long ago.
>
> Please can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying there's a
> Debian package of ttn's guile-pg?

I am the maintainer of the databases/guile-pg in pkgsrc, which is a
multi-system packaging system originally from NetBSD.  pkgsrc is
described at:

  http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html

Long ago, databases/guile-pg was tracking the 0.07 version available on
sourceforge.  I changed it to use ttn's guile-pg.

I do not have any idea about Debian packages.  I would say that if
Debian is tracking 0.07 they are behind and probably should switch - it
has been 8 years.  But I don't know if the 0.07 version works with 1.8.

@ 2008-10-22 13:02                       ` David Séverin
From: David Séverin @ 2008-10-22 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: guile-user, Sebastian Tennant

Le Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:40:11 -0400,
Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> a écrit :

> I do not have any idea about Debian packages.  I would say that if
> Debian is tracking 0.07 they are behind and probably should switch - it
> has been 8 years.  But I don't know if the 0.07 version works with 1.8.

	http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

	than select the package name and release [stable, testing, unstable]
	you get this page:

	http://packages.debian.org/lenny/guile-pg

Cheers,
David

==> Package: guile-pg (0.16-4.1)

depending on:

#

guile-1.6-libs
    Main Guile libraries

#

dep: libc6 (>= 2.7-1) [not alpha, ia64]
    GNU C Library: Shared libraries
    also a virtual package provided by libc6-udeb

#

dep: libc6.1 (>= 2.7-1) [alpha, ia64]
    GNU C Library: Shared libraries
    also a virtual package provided by libc6.1-udeb

#

dep: libguile-ltdl-1
    Guile's patched version of libtool's libltdl

#

dep: libpq5 (>= 8.3~beta1)
    PostgreSQL C client library

#

dep: libqthreads-12 [alpha, i386]
    QuickThreads library for Guile

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-22 14:42                         ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2008-10-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Séverin; +Cc: guile-user, Sebastian Tennant

	http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

	than select the package name and release [stable, testing, unstable]
	you get this page:

	http://packages.debian.org/lenny/guile-pg

Thanks.  That page is missing links to the upstream homepage and
distfile.  But I grabbed the original source file and it seems to be
ttn's 0.16.

@ 2008-10-23  4:48                       ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-10-23  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>:
>>> I think you are referring to guile-pg 0.07
>>
>> I'm referring to whichever guile-pg you get when you issue the command
>> 'apt-get install guile-pg' on a stock Debian box.
>
> Sorry, but that means you don't know Which version it is.

Indeed it does.  But...

Quoth David Séverin <david@altosw.be>:
> ==> Package: guile-pg (0.16-4.1)
>
> depending on:
> guile-1.6-libs
>     Main Guile libraries
> dep: libc6 (>= 2.7-1) [not alpha, ia64]
>     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
>     also a virtual package provided by libc6-udeb
> dep: libc6.1 (>= 2.7-1) [alpha, ia64]
>     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
>     also a virtual package provided by libc6.1-udeb
> dep: libguile-ltdl-1
>     Guile's patched version of libtool's libltdl
> dep: libpq5 (>= 8.3~beta1)
>     PostgreSQL C client library
> dep: libqthreads-12 [alpha, i386]
>     QuickThreads library for Guile

...so now we know.  Thanks David.  I always forget about
packages.debian.org.

Quoth Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>:
>>> I switched pkgsrc to ttn's version long ago.
>>
>> Please can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying there's a
>> Debian package of ttn's guile-pg?
>
> I am the maintainer of the databases/guile-pg in pkgsrc, which is a
> multi-system packaging system originally from NetBSD.  pkgsrc is
> described at:
>
>   http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html

I must confess I'd never heard about pkgsrc before but I've heard only
good things about *BSD OSes, so I've no doubt pkgsrc does a great job.

I see that guile-pg from pkgsrc also depends on a 1.6 Guile although
it's much more up-to-date (version 0.36 versus Debian's 0.16).

Are you planning to release a 1.8-compatible guile-pg pkgsrc package
anytime soon?

Sebastian

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-23  8:18                         ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2008-10-23  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: guile-user

2008/10/23 Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>:

> Are you planning to release a 1.8-compatible guile-pg pkgsrc package
> anytime soon?

FWIW, I'm going to have a go at this (1.8-compatible guile-pg).  I'll
be doing it as an in-between kind of task, though, so please don't
hold your breath!

(I think it'll be interesting in at least 3 ways.  (1) Finding out
about guile-pg.  (2) Understanding better the differences between ttn
and GNU guile.  (3) Learning how to use git effectively to update
between ttn's repo and my own.)

      Neil

* Re: guile-db
@ 2008-10-23 11:31                           ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-10-23 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Quoth "Neil Jerram" <neiljerram@googlemail.com>:
> 2008/10/23 Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com>:
>>
>> Are you planning to release a 1.8-compatible guile-pg pkgsrc package
>> anytime soon?
>
> FWIW, I'm going to have a go at this (1.8-compatible guile-pg).  I'll
> be doing it as an in-between kind of task, though, so please don't
> hold your breath!
>
> (I think it'll be interesting in at least 3 ways.  (1) Finding out
> about guile-pg.  (2) Understanding better the differences between ttn
> and GNU guile.  (3) Learning how to use git effectively to update
> between ttn's repo and my own.)

That's great news Neil.  I'm not a C programmer and I'm not familiar
with git but there may still be ways I can help.  Don't hesitate to
contact me if you can think of any.

Seb