unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Serveez and Guile-1.6n
@ 2003-02-11 17:06 rm
From: rm @ 2003-02-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

i'm not shure this is the right place to post, but since
Martin Grabmueller seems to be reading this list: i'm trying
to install GNU-serveez from CVS but compilation fails:

  guile.c: In function `guile_serveez_load':
  guile.c:1789: `scm_catch_body_t' undeclared (first use in this function)

Does that mean i can't use serveez with newer versions of Guile?
I grepped a bit arround hoping to find more information about
the missing type (?) but couldn't find anything in the ChangeLogs
(NEWS only mentions 'scm_internal_stack_catch'.

Tia Ralf Mattes

* Re: Serveez and Guile-1.6n
@ 2003-02-11 17:54 ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2003-02-11 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

rm@fabula.de writes:

> Hello list,
>
> i'm not shure this is the right place to post, but since
> Martin Grabmueller seems to be reading this list: i'm trying
> to install GNU-serveez from CVS but compilation fails:
>
>   guile.c: In function `guile_serveez_load':
>   guile.c:1789: `scm_catch_body_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Does that mean i can't use serveez with newer versions of Guile?

Without knowing serveez I can say that scm_xxx_t names have changed to
scm_t_xxx in more recent Guiles.  This is possible to test for in the
configure script along lines suggested in the examples/compat
directory in the Guile CVS source tree.

Good luck!

* Re: Serveez and Guile-1.6n
@ 2003-02-13  9:12 ` Martin Grabmueller
From: Martin Grabmueller @ 2003-02-13  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:06:58 +0100
> From: rm@fabula.de
>
> Hello list,
>
> i'm not shure this is the right place to post, but since
> Martin Grabmueller seems to be reading this list:

Stefan Jahn, the maintainer of GNU Serveez is, probably also reading
this list, but you may want to try one of the mailing lists

  dev-serveez@gnu.org   (Developer list) or
  help-serveez@gnu.org  (User list).

> i'm trying
> to install GNU-serveez from CVS but compilation fails:
>
>   guile.c: In function `guile_serveez_load':
>   guile.c:1789: `scm_catch_body_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Does that mean i can't use serveez with newer versions of Guile?
> I grepped a bit arround hoping to find more information about
> the missing type (?) but couldn't find anything in the ChangeLogs
> (NEWS only mentions 'scm_internal_stack_catch'.

But anyway, I think Mikael already has explained the problem.  As a
workaround, you may want to place

  #define scm_catch_body_t scm_t_catch_body

in the file that uses it.  For the long run, try to get Stefan to fix
it (or even better, send a patch to dev-serveez@gnu.org, thanks!)

'martin

* Re: Serveez and Guile-1.6n
@ 2003-02-16 19:36   ` rm
From: rm @ 2003-02-16 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rm

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:12:40AM +0100, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> Stefan Jahn, the maintainer of GNU Serveez is, probably also reading
> this list, but you may want to try one of the mailing lists
>
>   dev-serveez@gnu.org   (Developer list) or
>   help-serveez@gnu.org  (User list).

Sorry for the late reply, i'm far away from my home network connection ;-)
(no mail for several days, what an unusual feeling).

Thank's for the explanation. I fixed the problem by including the
'#define  ...' after a bit of code grepping with source navigator, but
i really think there should be a better way to find out about this
kind of changes -- it's not the first time that such cosmetic renames
eat up quite some time (i'm _not_ saying that these changes aren't
valid and neccessary). A short entry in the ChangeLog or a special
ApiChanges files (scm_catch_body_t -> scm_t_scatch_body) would save
us from a lot of searching.

> But anyway, I think Mikael already has explained the problem.  As a
> workaround, you may want to place
>
>   #define scm_catch_body_t scm_t_catch_body
>
> in the file that uses it.  For the long run, try to get Stefan to fix
> it (or even better, send a patch to dev-serveez@gnu.org, thanks!)

As soon as i find some more time ;-)

 Ralfd
> 'martin

* Re: Serveez and Guile-1.6n
@ 2003-02-17  8:11     ` Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2003-02-17  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Martin Grabmueller

rm@fabula.de writes:

[...]

> i really think there should be a better way to find out about this
> kind of changes

But there is!

It is a good thing for every maintainer/developer of a Guile
application to read the NEWS file in the distribution.  There you find:

* Changes to the C interface

** Types have been renamed from scm_*_t to scm_t_*.

This has been done for POSIX sake.  It reserves identifiers ending
with "_t".  What a concept.

Best regards,
Mikael D.