unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-27 17:36 Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2009-01-27 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi Guile-libbers,

A few changes in Guile-Lib.

 (1) I'm looking at upping the dependency from Guile 1.6 to 1.8, as that
     will let me remove things from Guile-Lib as they are added to 1.8
     and 2.0 (on both branches). An example of this already having
     occurred is SRFI-34 and SRFI-35, both of which are in master and
     1.8.

 (2) I removed (math rationalize), as its core functionality,
     `rationalize', has been in Guile since 1.8.

 (3) I removed (container queue), as it was undocumented, and completely
     identical to (ice-9 q) besides some naming. I think the only reason
     that it was in Guile-Lib was because of some ontological
     namespacing crusade that is not really worthwhile IMO. If we are to
     clean up and document some of the code that's in `ice-9', we should
     do so in Guile itself. "Drain the swamp!" :)

 (4) I committed the important patches that were in (scheme session) to
     (ice-9 session), on master. I'm waiting for Neil or Ludo to weigh
     in before merging them to 1.8.

 (5) I cleaned up all of the licensing blocks, updating GPL and LGPL
     licenses to version 3+, and clarifying which modules were in the
     public domain.

I'll be pushing to savannah as soon as their admins to a final review,
at which point I'll mail with details regarding the web site, etc.

I'll be rolling a new release soon. Now would be a great time to re-send
those patches that I lost in the past ;)

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-27 19:14 ` Julian Graham
From: Julian Graham @ 2009-01-27 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user

Hi Andy,

If you wouldn't mind, I'd really like it if you could take a look at
SSAX, re: [1].  I don't have a patch handy, but I can tell you that
the distribution released in 0.1.5 worked, but not the one in 0.1.6.

Regards,
Julian

[1] - https://gna.org/support/?2043

@ 2009-01-27 20:32   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2009-01-27 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Graham; +Cc: guile-user

On Tue 27 Jan 2009 20:14, Julian Graham <joolean@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Andy,
>
> If you wouldn't mind, I'd really like it if you could take a look at
> SSAX, re: [1].  I don't have a patch handy, but I can tell you that
> the distribution released in 0.1.5 worked, but not the one in 0.1.6.

> [1] - https://gna.org/support/?2043

Do you have a test case? This code works for me.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-27 20:55 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-01-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hello,

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

>  (1) I'm looking at upping the dependency from Guile 1.6 to 1.8, as that
>      will let me remove things from Guile-Lib as they are added to 1.8
>      and 2.0 (on both branches). An example of this already having
>      occurred is SRFI-34 and SRFI-35, both of which are in master and
>      1.8.

I think Guile-Lib should check whether they are available at
configure-time and install them iff they are not already available.

Besides, SRFI-35 is broken (see
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=skribilo.git;a=blob;f=m4/guile.m4)

>  (2) I removed (math rationalize), as its core functionality,
>      `rationalize', has been in Guile since 1.8.

Maybe it should be left there for compatibility, and just re-export the
procedure?  Same for `(container queue)'.

> I'll be pushing to savannah as soon as their admins to a final review,
> at which point I'll mail with details regarding the web site, etc.

Great, thanks a lot!

> I'll be rolling a new release soon. Now would be a great time to re-send
> those patches that I lost in the past ;)

There was this one:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.guile-lib.devel/454

Ludo'.

* Re: guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-27 21:20     ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2009-01-27 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

> On Tue 27 Jan 2009 20:14, Julian Graham writes:
>
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > If you wouldn't mind, I'd really like it if you could take a look at
> > SSAX, re: [1].  I don't have a patch handy, but I can tell you that
> > the distribution released in 0.1.5 worked, but not the one in 0.1.6.
>
> > [1] - https://gna.org/support/?2043
>
> Do you have a test case? This code works for me.

I did also have problems when I tried SSAX 0.1.6.  That was a
while ago, so I don't remember the details.

-Mike Gran

* Re: guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-28 10:18   ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2009-01-28 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

Hi,

On Tue 27 Jan 2009 21:55, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I think Guile-Lib should check whether [modules] are available at
> configure-time and install them iff they are not already available.

I'd rather just require a specific version of 1.8.5... Anyway, if you
want to do this, once the savannah thing goes through I'll add you to
the project :)

> Besides, SRFI-35 is broken (see
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=skribilo.git;a=blob;f=m4/guile.m4)

This kind of thing is what I'd like to avoid. Users won't notice the
difference if a newer guile-lib requires the latest release of a
specific stable series, since stable series are compatible.

>>  (2) I removed (math rationalize), as its core functionality,
>>      `rationalize', has been in Guile since 1.8.
>
> Maybe it should be left there for compatibility, and just re-export the
> procedure?  Same for `(container queue)'.

(math rationalize) also had unclear licensing, so I'm inclined to keep
it out. (container queue) was never documented -- but doing a google
code search finds one user... (container async-queue). So I should
probably add it back then, sigh...

I really don't want to be in the position of being "responsible" for
poorly documented modules.

>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.guile-lib.devel/454

Pushed out to http://wingolog.org/git/guile-lib.git, still waiting for
the asynchronous project start on savannah...

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-28 12:31     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-01-28 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> On Tue 27 Jan 2009 21:55, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> I think Guile-Lib should check whether [modules] are available at
>> configure-time and install them iff they are not already available.
>
> I'd rather just require a specific version of 1.8.5... Anyway, if you
> want to do this, once the savannah thing goes through I'll add you to
> the project :)

Maybe.  My line of thought was that some people might be stuck with an
older 1.8 release from their distro and may not be able/willing to
upgrade, but maybe this can be ignored.

> I really don't want to be in the position of being "responsible" for
> poorly documented modules.

I understand.  Perhaps they could be prominently marked as deprecated in
the header or in the manual?

>>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.guile-lib.devel/454
>
> Pushed out to http://wingolog.org/git/guile-lib.git, still waiting for
> the asynchronous project start on savannah...

Thanks!

Ludo'.

* Re: guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-28 15:12       ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2009-01-28 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

Howdy,

On Wed 28 Jan 2009 13:31, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> My line of thought was that some people might be stuck with an
> older 1.8 release from their distro and may not be able/willing to
> upgrade, but maybe this can be ignored.

If this is the case, they're probably stuck with an old guile-lib as
well. But I can see your point as well. I'm actually a bit indifferent.
Let me push things out to the git repo and we can figure out what's
going on.

Also: welcome to the guile-lib development team, heh heh ;-)

  https://savannah.nongnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=guile-lib

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: guile-lib changes
@ 2009-01-28 23:37         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2009-01-28 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: guile-user

Hey,

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> If this is the case, they're probably stuck with an old guile-lib as
> well. But I can see your point as well. I'm actually a bit indifferent.
> Let me push things out to the git repo and we can figure out what's
> going on.

OK, we'll see.

> Also: welcome to the guile-lib development team, heh heh ;-)
>
>   https://savannah.nongnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=guile-lib

Glad to see I'm an "active member on duty"!  ;-)

Thank you for all that!

Ludo'.