unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Help, Guidance for Guile Module Builders
@ 2002-03-15 18:43 Evan Prodromou
From: Evan Prodromou @ 2002-03-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I'd like to assemble some kind of document that gives
"recommended" coding suggestions for Guile modules -- especially those
that aspire to participation in GUMM.

If I was going to lay out a quick example, I'd say this...

    * Use autoconf, automake, and GNU make to build and install modules

    * Use texinfo to document module interfaces

      (Note: any semi-official way to "snarf" documentation from
      Scheme-only interfaces into texinfo form? From scheme-and-C
      combined modules?)

    * Use greg as a regression testing tool

I'd also like to assemble a set of good Guile-related autoconf macros
into a single package that would make Guile-related autoconf stuff
easier.

I'd love to get to the point where these macros would get included as
part of the autoconf (or automake) standard distribution. Hey, GUILE
_is_ the GNU extension language, after all. Shouldn't GNU build
tools support using Guile? I mean really. Automake (written in Perl)
already has Python support. Phooey!

Lastly, I'd like to put together a (guile hello) module -- in the
spirit of GNU hello -- that shows best practices for making a Guile
module for wide distribution.

Anyways, any suggestions, guidance, support or interest?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan@glug.org

* Re: Help, Guidance for Guile Module Builders
@ 2002-03-16  0:13 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-03-16  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

    Evan> So, I'd like to assemble some kind of document that gives
    Evan> "recommended" coding suggestions for Guile modules -- especially those
    Evan> that aspire to participation in GUMM.

Sounds great.  One thought only, I'm afraid - have you checked out all
the autoconf stuff and accompanying docs that thi has recently added
to Guile CVS?  Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that should be
an excellent start for what you're aiming at.

        Neil

* Re: Help, Guidance for Guile Module Builders
@ 2002-03-16  4:51   ` Evan Prodromou
From: Evan Prodromou @ 2002-03-16  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

    NJ> Sounds great.  One thought only, I'm afraid - have you checked
    NJ> out all the autoconf stuff and accompanying docs that thi has
    NJ> recently added to Guile CVS?

I'm tracking the test releases for 1.6, so I'll see if the files are
there. Otherwise, I'll start trying to find them under CVS. Any file
names I should look at?

    NJ> Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that should be an
    NJ> excellent start for what you're aiming at.

Hooray! I'm so glad when I volunteer for something because I'm p.o.'d
someone else hasn't already done it, and it turns out they have.

~ESP

--

@ 2002-03-16 13:22     ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-03-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

    NJ> Sounds great.  One thought only, I'm afraid - have you checked
    NJ> out all the autoconf stuff and accompanying docs that thi has
    NJ> recently added to Guile CVS?

    Evan> I'm tracking the test releases for 1.6, so I'll see if the files are
    Evan> there. Otherwise, I'll start trying to find them under CVS. Any file
    Evan> names I should look at?

In the doc/ref directory, autoconf.texi, autoconf-macros.texi and
tool.texi, I think.  I'm not sure where the sources for the autoconf
macros are.

        Neil