unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* srfi-34 and raise
@ 2010-06-04  8:48 Tristan Colgate
From: Tristan Colgate @ 2010-06-04  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

  Using srfi-34 causes a warning indicating that it overrides core
binding "raise". It doesn't
cause any problems but is a bit irritating. What is the correct way to
silence this warning.

  Cheers
--
Tristan Colgate-McFarlane
----

* Re: srfi-34 and raise
@ 2010-06-06 20:09 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-06-06 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Colgate; +Cc: guile-user

On Fri 04 Jun 2010 10:48, Tristan Colgate <tcolgate@gmail.com> writes:

>   Using srfi-34 causes a warning indicating that it overrides core
> binding "raise". It doesn't
> cause any problems but is a bit irritating. What is the correct way to
> silence this warning.

Part of me wants to say that you should rename the binding or something,
but given that `raise' is in core that's difficult to do without making
a pure module, then using guile-user #:except raise. See also "Creating
Guile Modules" in the manual, around the duplicates handlers bit.

As it is I'm changing srfi-34 in git to use #:replace instead of
#:export, so as to be more DWIM-y. It's always an option for a user in
their module to do #:duplicates (check), after all...

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: srfi-34 and raise
@ 2010-06-06 20:47   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-06-06 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi!

Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:

> As it is I'm changing srfi-34 in git to use #:replace instead of
> #:export, so as to be more DWIM-y. It's always an option for a user in
> their module to do #:duplicates (check), after all...

FWIW, I agree but not everybody does:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/guile-devel@gnu.org/msg00469.html

There are also many bindings that could be #:replaced in the rnrs
modules.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: srfi-34 and raise
@ 2010-06-06 22:51     ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-06-06 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

Greets,

On Sun 06 Jun 2010 22:47, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> As it is I'm changing srfi-34 in git to use #:replace instead of
>> #:export, so as to be more DWIM-y. It's always an option for a user in
>> their module to do #:duplicates (check), after all...
>
> FWIW, I agree but not everybody does:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/guile-devel@gnu.org/msg00469.html

Ah, that is a nice discussion, thank you for the link. I see both sides
but I am tired of the warning, so I think we should acquiesce here,
knowing that #:duplicates (check) is always an option.

> There are also many bindings that could be #:replaced in the rnrs
> modules.

Yes, we should fix that. Perhaps Julian would be willing to do that? :-)

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/

* Re: srfi-34 and raise
@ 2010-06-07  2:03       ` Julian Graham
From: Julian Graham @ 2010-06-07  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Wingo; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, guile-user

Hey all,

>> There are also many bindings that could be #:replaced in the rnrs
>> modules.
>
> Yes, we should fix that. Perhaps Julian would be willing to do that? :-)

Sure, although the solution that springs to my mind first is to make
all bindings introduced by R6RS libraries #:replace-ing, via the
`import' transformer.  Objections?  (Alternatively, we could make
those particular libraries into modules that #:replace particular
bindings, but that seems a bit messier and doesn't address future
issues with other libraries.)

Regards,
Julian

* Re: srfi-34 and raise
@ 2010-06-07 10:07         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2010-06-07 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Graham; +Cc: Andy Wingo, guile-user

Hi!

Julian Graham <joolean@gmail.com> writes:

>>> There are also many bindings that could be #:replaced in the rnrs
>>> modules.
>>
>> Yes, we should fix that. Perhaps Julian would be willing to do that? :-)
>
> Sure, although the solution that springs to my mind first is to make
> all bindings introduced by R6RS libraries #:replace-ing, via the
> `import' transformer.  Objections?

Can you give an example of what you mean?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: srfi-34 and raise
@ 2010-06-07 21:04           ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2010-06-07 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user

On Mon 07 Jun 2010 12:07, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>>> Yes, we should fix that. Perhaps Julian would be willing to do that? :-)
>>
>> Sure, although the solution that springs to my mind first is to make
>> all bindings introduced by R6RS libraries #:replace-ing, via the
>> `import' transformer.  Objections?
>
> Can you give an example of what you mean?

Yes I think I would want an example as well. I guess I would prefer that
only exports to bindings in (guile) would be #:replaced (but that
decision made programatically).

http://wingolog.org/