unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Re: mozilla efforts?
@ 2002-10-14 21:01 ` Dale P. Smith
From: Dale P. Smith @ 2002-10-14 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Oct 2002 21:15:13 +0000
Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there anybody out there working on plugging Guile into mozilla? It
> seems to me it would be a useful scripting replacement and a good
> XPCOM language.

I was looking at postgres and I discovered you could add scripting
plugins there too.  You could have a whole three-tier archecture running
guile: netscape, apache and postgres. ;^)

I don't think anyone is working on it.

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Senior Systems Consultant,      | Treasurer,

* mozilla efforts?
@ 2002-10-14 21:15 Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2002-10-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there anybody out there working on plugging Guile into mozilla? It
seems to me it would be a useful scripting replacement and a good
XPCOM language.

Nic

* Re: mozilla efforts?
@ 2002-10-14 22:13   ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2002-10-14 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

"Dale P. Smith" <dsmith@altustech.com> writes:

> On 14 Oct 2002 21:15:13 +0000
> Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Is there anybody out there working on plugging Guile into mozilla? It
> > seems to me it would be a useful scripting replacement and a good
> > XPCOM language.
>
> I was looking at postgres and I discovered you could add scripting
> plugins there too.  You could have a whole three-tier archecture running
> guile: netscape, apache and postgres. ;^)
>
> I don't think anyone is working on it.

I am working on guile as a proc language for postgresql.

Another attractive proposition is to get guile functions callable
from libxml. Then you could have:

   postgresql | libxslt | mozilla.

Nic

* Re: mozilla efforts?
@ 2002-10-15  9:43     ` rm
From: rm @ 2002-10-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dale P. Smith, guile-user

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:13:30PM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> "Dale P. Smith" <dsmith@altustech.com> writes:
>
> > On 14 Oct 2002 21:15:13 +0000
> > Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there anybody out there working on plugging Guile into mozilla? It
> > > seems to me it would be a useful scripting replacement and a good
> > > XPCOM language.
> >
> > I was looking at postgres and I discovered you could add scripting
> > plugins there too.  You could have a whole three-tier archecture running
> > guile: netscape, apache and postgres. ;^)
> >
> > I don't think anyone is working on it.
>
> I am working on guile as a proc language for postgresql.

That sounds _pretty_ interessting! I had a look at the same task a while
ago but got stuck with memory management and non-local exits which seem
to happen quite often in the postgresql backend (from my little under-
standing -- mainly from looking at the embedded TCL interpreter -- i got
the impression that in case of a transaction rollback the backend uses
'(3) longjmp' to exit the transaction context and i wasn't shure how to
deal with it in presence of continuations. Is your code public?

 Ralf Mattes

> Another attractive proposition is to get guile functions callable
> from libxml. Then you could have:
>
>    postgresql | libxslt | mozilla.
>

> Nic

* testing number of arguments of a closure
@ 2002-11-03 20:50 ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2002-11-03 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to be able to create a closure using scm_c_eval_string and
then test the returned proc to see whether it has the correct (which
depends on some external context) number of arguments.

For example:

   SCM myproc = scm_c_eval_string("(lambda (x y) (+ x y))");

   if ( has_args(myproc, 2) )
     // do something
   else
     // signal error.

Is there a guile way to do "has_args" above?

I thought that one way to do this would be to eval an existing
s-expr (after having checked the syntax myself) but there seems to be
no way to do that either.

I'm aware that the manuals are in flux, so I thought I'd ask
here. I hope no one minds.

Nic

* Re: testing number of arguments of a closure
@ 2002-11-03 21:00   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-11-03 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk>
   Date: 03 Nov 2002 20:50:05 +0000

   Is there a guile way to do "has_args" above?

(procedure-property (eval-string "(lambda (x y) (+ x y))") 'arity)
=> (2 0 #f)

thi

* Re: testing number of arguments of a closure
@ 2002-11-03 21:15   ` rm
From: rm @ 2002-11-03 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 08:50:05PM +0000, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> I'd like to be able to create a closure using scm_c_eval_string and
> then test the returned proc to see whether it has the correct (which
> depends on some external context) number of arguments.
>
> For example:
>

>    SCM myproc = scm_c_eval_string("(lambda (x y) (+ x y))");
>
>    if ( has_args(myproc, 2) )
>      // do something
>    else
>      // signal error.
>

> Is there a guile way to do "has_args" above?

 Are you looking for the  c-level equivalent of the "arity" function?

 ralf mattes

* storing C types in scheme collectors
@ 2002-11-11 23:13 ` Nic Ferrier
From: Nic Ferrier @ 2002-11-11 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to store C types (eg: a struct) in a scheme thing like
a vector or a hash or does one have to build a smob whenever one
needs to add a c type?

I can't immediately find this in the latest manual. I'm sure it was
mentioned in the 1.5 manual I had (but which I scrubbed when I
installed 1.6!)

Nic

* Re: storing C types in scheme collectors
@ 2002-11-12  4:21   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-11-12  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk>
   Date: 11 Nov 2002 23:13:06 +0000

   Is it possible to store C types (eg: a struct) in a scheme thing like
   a vector or a hash or does one have to build a smob whenever one
   needs to add a c type?

perhaps you can use structs.

thi

* Re: storing C types in scheme collectors
@ 2002-11-12 22:33   ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2002-11-12 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

    Nic> I can't immediately find this in the latest manual. I'm sure it was
    Nic> mentioned in the 1.5 manual I had (but which I scrubbed when I
    Nic> installed 1.6!)

I don't think anything substantial was deliberately removed between
1.5 and 1.6, but it could have happened by accident.  Please let me
know if you find further evidence.

        Neil