unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* 64-bit Guile on Windows
@ 2022-06-27 13:56 Thomas Thiriez via General Guile related discussions
From: Thomas Thiriez via General Guile related discussions @ 2022-06-27 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

I am currently porting a macOS application to Windows, and need to
have libguile working.

I can see GnuCash works with Guile. I could borrow their
libguile.dll, but it is a 32-bit build, and I am making a 64-bit
application. I tried building Guile 3, but had more success with
Guile 2.2, so I will keep that version.

I have cross compiled it on my mac with mingw, and it kind of
works. The only thing is that if I compile my .scm files to .go,
then my fixnums are not automatically converted to big nums, and I
get things like that:

(* 999 999 999) -> -76738825

My fix is to keep the .scm files, and avoid compiling to .go.

I believe this has something to do with the fact that, on that
platform, we have:

sizeof(SCM)  == 8
sizeof(long) == 4

Is there something to do about that problem? Is there something I
can do to have a working 64-bit Guile on Windows?

Thanks a lot for any help you could provide.

Regards,
Thomas Thiriez

* Re: 64-bit Guile on Windows
@ 2022-11-22 14:32 Jean Abou Samra
From: Jean Abou Samra @ 2022-11-22 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: Thomas Thiriez, guile-user

> Le 22 nov. 2022 à 14:22, Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> a écrit :
> For what it is worth, I do have functional 64-bit Guile 3.0.x for
> Windows at the link below, but that tree is still full of missteps and
> experiments and needs to made into a cleaner patchset.

Thanks, that is good to know, but it doesn’t help LilyPond in the immediate future because we have long branched our next stable release, which is supposed to happen next month, and we require Guile 2.2 for this release.

So we need to live with the fact that fixnums are ~32 bits at most because GMP expects long, unlike what is done in the wip-mingw branch with mini-GMP.

Best,
Jean