unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [ANN] Scheme-GNUnet 0.2 released
@ 2022-02-03 18:11 Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-02-03 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnunet, guile-user

Version 0.2 of Scheme-GNUnet has been released.  The main change since
the 0.1 release, is DHT support.

* What is Scheme-GNUnet?

Scheme-GNUnet is a WIP (Guile) Scheme port of the GNUnet client libraries.
Unlike gnunet-guile, it is not a binding for the C libraries.  It can be
used in multi-threaded applications, e.g. with guile-fibers.

It is not to be confused with https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet-guile2.git
and https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/gnunet.git, which implement
bindings for the C libraries and support a different set of services.

* Things currently supported

It can connect to the DHT (distributed hash table) and NSE (network size
estimation) services, supporting insertion and retrieval of data in the
DHT and asking for an estimate of the size of the network.

A basic example, implementing a web server where one can ask to insert
some data, retrieve some data or look at the latest network size estimate,
is available at examples/web.scm.  It can be run with the command
‘guile -L . -C . -l examples/web.scm’; point your favourite web brower
at http://localhost:8089.

* Location

The source code can be found at <https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet-scheme.git/>,
tag v0.2 and commit 38c1a3f631fdedacaea146683516268de0113455.  I can send
a copy of the manual (PDF, HTML or TeXmacs) by mail if desired.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: [ANN] Scheme-GNUnet 0.2 released
@ 2022-02-03 20:39 ` Keith Wright
From: Keith Wright @ 2022-02-03 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guile-user

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

> The source code can be found at <https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet-scheme.git/>,

> I can send a copy of the manual (PDF, HTML or TeXmacs) by mail if desired.

Would it not be easier to put the documentation in the same place
as the source code?  (Possibly in a separate directory)

As a proponent of literate programming (cf Knuth), I think the
human readable documentation is part of the source code.
An onle machine readable program, even if it is in some "high level"
language, is really no better than a binary "blob", which
could be de-compiled.

I hope the offer to send copies by email, if desired, means you
will send it to anyone who requests it.

Please don't send a big wad of bytes to the mailing list,
even if one person desires it.

   -- Keith

* Re: [ANN] Scheme-GNUnet 0.2 released
@ 2022-02-03 21:08   ` Maxime Devos