unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Re: Guile 1.5.6 beta available for testing.
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.21.0203112051530.2317-100000@ariel.lan.telltronics.org>
@ 2002-03-12 16:19 ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 2002-03-12 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Tell <tell@telltronics.org> writes:

> I found two workarounds that involve hacking the libtool script.
> Both get libtool to link libguile into libguilereadline as
> "/usr/guile-1.5.6/lib/libguile.so" instead of "-lguile". Even though
> -L/usr/lib remains on the gcc command line, this does the right thing.

Another possibility might be for us to just add a ./overrides/gcc and
then in our Makefiles export PATH=`pwd`/overrides:${PATH}.  Inside
this gcc override script, we could strip out any offending
-L\s*/usr/lib(/)? and -I\s*/usr/include(/)? occurrences before
calling.

  export PATH=`filter-out-parent-dir ${PATH}`
  exec "$@"

Ugly, but if -L /usr/lib and -I /usr/include are the problem, this
should fix it.  Of course we'd have to symlink to cc, etc. as well for
non-gcc platforms, and this won't help if they don't all use -L and
-I :/

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu

@ 2002-03-15 20:54 ` Marius Vollmer
From: Marius Vollmer @ 2002-03-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Tell <tell@telltronics.org> writes:

> As near as I can tell by wading through the libtool script and sh -x
> output, libtool adds "-L/usr/lib" because libguile.la says that libguile
> needs /usr/lib/libltdl.la, and /usr/lib/libltdl.a says that libltdl has
> its further dependendencies specified as "-ldl" (instead of as an absolute
> path to a libdl.la?)

Ahh, that makes sense.  That is, it explains what you are seeing, but
it certainly looks wrong.

> I'm temporarily joining the libtool list to see if any of the
> experts can shed some light.  It definitely looks like libtool is
> doing the wrong thing, or at least a less correct thing.

Yes, I'll listen in to the discussion on the libtool list...