unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Multi-language scripts
@ 2020-08-21 18:22 Stephen Scheck
From: Stephen Scheck @ 2020-08-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I'm trying to invoke `guile -s script` where script contains something like
this:

    ,language ecmascript
    display("Hello JavaScript!\n");
    ,language scheme
    (display "Hello Guile!\n")

However, REPL meta-commands do not seem to be available when passing a
script file to Guile with the -s switch.

Does anybody know if there's any way to make it work?

* Re: Multi-language scripts
@ 2020-08-21 18:36 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2020-08-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On 8/21/20 11:22 AM, Stephen Scheck wrote:
> I'm trying to invoke `guile -s script` where script contains something like
> this:
>
>      ,language ecmascript
>      display("Hello JavaScript!\n");
>      ,language scheme
>      (display "Hello Guile!\n")
>
> However, REPL meta-commands do not seem to be available when passing a
> script file to Guile with the -s switch.
>
> Does anybody know if there's any way to make it work?
Did you try `guile --language=emacscript'?

mwette$ cat zz.js
display("hello\n");

mwette$ guile --language=ecmascript zz.js
hello

* Re: Multi-language scripts
@ 2020-08-21 19:17 Stephen Scheck
From: Stephen Scheck @ 2020-08-21 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matt.wette; +Cc: guile-user

Matt Wette wrote:

> Did you try `guile --language=emacscript’?
>
> mwette$ cat zz.js
> display("hello\n”);
>
> mwette$ guile --language=ecmascript zz.js
> hello

The intent is that I want it to change language in the middle of the script.

* Re: Multi-language scripts
@ 2020-08-22  2:47 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2020-08-22  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On 8/21/20 12:17 PM, Stephen Scheck wrote:
> Matt Wette wrote:
>
>> Did you try `guile --language=emacscript’?
>>
>> mwette$ cat zz.js
>> display("hello\n”);
>>
>> mwette$ guile --language=ecmascript zz.js
>> hello
> The intent is that I want it to change language in the middle of the script.

maybe this?

(use-modules (system base language))
(current-language (lookup-language 'ecmascript))

* Re: Multi-language scripts
@ 2020-08-22 14:53 Stephen Scheck
From: Stephen Scheck @ 2020-08-22 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matt.wette; +Cc: guile-user

Matt Wette wrote:

> maybe this?
>
> (use-modules (system base language))
> (current-language (lookup-language 'ecmascript))

It doesn’t work:

    scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (system base language))
    scheme@(guile-user)> (lookup-language ‘ecmascript)
    scheme@(guile-user)> (current-language $1)
    $2 = scheme
    scheme@(guile-user)> display("We should be in JavaScript now, but we aren’t!\n”);
    $3 = #<procedure display (_ #:optional _)>
    ERROR: Wrong type to apply: "We should be in JavaScript now, but we aren’t!\n”

    Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.

Also, even if it did, it would be problematic switching back - you’d need to do something along these lines in Scheme first:

(define (string_to_symbol sym) (string->symbol sym))
(define (lookup_language lang) (lookup-language lang))
(define (set_current_language lang) (set-current-language! lang)) ;; assuming set-current-language! actually existed…

This wouldn’t work, obviously, in the general case for other languages. I don’t really want to use JavaScript, I was just using it as an example.

I really just want some way to enable the REPL reader when you pass a script to Guile with the -s switch from the command line so you can embed `,language` meta-commands in the script file.

* Re: Multi-language scripts
@ 2020-08-22 15:22 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2020-08-22 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On 8/22/20 7:53 AM, Stephen Scheck wrote:
> Matt Wette wrote:
>
>> maybe this?
>>
>> (use-modules (system base language))
>> (current-language (lookup-language 'ecmascript))
> It doesn’t work:
>
>      scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (system base language))
>      scheme@(guile-user)> (lookup-language ‘ecmascript)
>      scheme@(guile-user)> (current-language $1)
>      $2 = scheme
>      scheme@(guile-user)> display("We should be in JavaScript now, but we aren’t!\n”);
>      $3 = #<procedure display (_ #:optional _)>
>      ERROR: Wrong type to apply: "We should be in JavaScript now, but we aren’t!\n”
>
>      Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
>

> Also, even if it did, it would be problematic switching back - you’d need to do something along these lines in Scheme first:
>
> (define (string_to_symbol sym) (string->symbol sym))
> (define (lookup_language lang) (lookup-language lang))
> (define (set_current_language lang) (set-current-language! lang)) ;; assuming set-current-language! actually existed…
>
> This wouldn’t work, obviously, in the general case for other languages. I don’t really want to use JavaScript, I was just using it as an example.
>
> I really just want some way to enable the REPL reader when you pass a script to Guile with the -s switch from the command line so you can embed `,language` meta-commands in the script file.

I think the issue is that while the repl processes one input (line) at a
time guile
handles files by compiling a file at a time.  I think you'd have to
write code
to process files an input (line) at a time.  Maybe this could be a
procedure that
takes the name of the file, generates a repl and feeds the repl from the
file
one line at a time.

(I have played with the compiler code a bit in writing guile-hosted
parser/interpreters
for javascript, matlab, tcl and others.   Try web search for guile nyacc.)

Matt