Hello, On 2024-03-15 12:15:33 -0500, ksoft@sent.com wrote: > I am in the process of rewriting in Guile a script that I use regularly. Running Guile 3.0.9, when I execute a file containing > > #!/usr/local/bin/guile -s > !# > (display "Hello, mailing list!") > (newline) > > the following is printed to standard error: > > ;;; note: source file /Users/me/./test.scm > ;;; newer than compiled /Users/me/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.6/Users/me/test.scm.go > ;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 > ;;; or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable. > ;;; compiling /Users/me/./test.scm > ;;; compiled /Users/me/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.6/Users/me/test.scm.go > > While not showstopping, it would be preferable if there were a way to suppress the message. You technically can disable the message by disabling the auto-compilation, which can be done using environment variable, or the flag, directly from the script file itself. However disabling it might not be always desired. > This has been mentioned here and in other venues previously [1][2][3], but the last mention was over 10 years ago and perusal of the Guile manual suggests nothing toward this end has been implemented yet. Would adding a --quiet switch cause breakage? I think adding a switch to suppress the message should be fine, I think something like --auto-compilation-quiet or something would work. I would actually want that as well, but never got to writing the patch. Have a nice day, Tomas Volf -- There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.