On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 10:43:25AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote: > CToID writes: > > > How do I distribute Guile programs to somebody who doesn't have Guile > > installed on their system?  It does not seem like Guile compiler is > > able to produce a standalone executable. > > The same way you distribute Java programs, python programs and perl > programs. You ask they they install the langauge environment as part of > your instructions And -- at the end of the day -- C programs: libc (or equivalent) and the runtime aren't trivial either. Unless you are doing embedded stuff. In Linux, for example, a "C executable" (a binary compiled from C) isn't that different from a shell script, if you squint. While in a shell script you have that shebang line stating "I want to be interpreted by /bin/foo", the executable says "I want to be loaded by /lib/ld-linux.so" (the dynamic loader) or something similar. Actually, AFAIK, the Guile compiler compiles down to dynamic objects these days. But you need that pesky runtime... It's turtles all the way down :-) Cheers -- t