On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 01:12:57PM +0100, Sascha Ziemann wrote: > I am wondering if something like bytevector-string-ref is missing in the API. > Or is there any other way to extract a string from a byte vector, without > copying the data twice? Alas, it's more complicated than this. There's a whole colourful world of encodings in between :-) I think "6.6.5.13 Representing Strings as Bytes" in the Guile manual is the relevant part, here on the Intrawebs. Cheers [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Representing-Strings-as-Bytes.html -- t