On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 08:35:24PM +0100, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote: > > writes: > > As far as I understand Vivien, interfaces come and go during the > > server's lifetime. I.e. it's not just a "boot" thing. This seems > > like a valid use case. > On some servers you might actually pull out an interface during runtime > to hotswap a new one — for example because it signaled that it is short > of failing. Yes, but as Vivien explained his case, just the other side of the network might go down. Or the dhcp server at the other side takes too long and we don't want to block the boot. Or the sysadmin just does "ifdown eth0" and somewhat later "ifup...". Or whatever. Cheers -- t