unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
From: "Kjetil S. Matheussen" <k.s.matheussen@notam02.no>
To: Clinton Ebadi <clinton@unknownlamer.org>, guile-user@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Injecting variables into closures.
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:52:08 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Clinton Ebadi wrote:

> "Kjetil S. Matheussen" <k.s.matheussen@notam02.no> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need (well) to inject variables into closures, and have
>> come up with the following macro to do so:
>>
>> (define-macro (inject-variable name value)
>>   (define env (gensym))
>>   (define closure (gensym))
>>   (define vars (gensym))
>>   (define secondname (gensym))
>>   (define secondval (gensym))
>>   (define first-env (gensym))
>>   `((procedure->macro (lambda (,(gensym) ,env)
>>                         (cond ((null? (cdr ,env))
>>                                (let ((,closure (car ,env)))
>>                                  (set-car! ,env (cons ',name ,value))
>>                                  (set-cdr! ,env (list ,closure))))
>>                               ((null? (null? (cdr (car ,env))))
>>                                (let* ((,vars (car ,env))
>>                                       (,secondname (car vars))
>>                                       (,secondval (cdr vars)))
>>                                  (set-car! ,env
>>                                            (list (list ',name firstname)
>>                                                  ,value ,secondval))))
>>                               (else
>>                                (let ((,first-env (car ,env)))
>>                                  (set-cdr! ,first-env
>>                                            (cons ,value (cdr ,first-env)))
>>                                  (set-car! ,first-env
>>                                            (cons ',name (car ,first-env)))
>>                                  (set-car! ,env ,first-env))))))))
>>

>> (let ()
>>   (display (defined? 'gakk))
>>   (inject-variable gakk 90)
>>   gakk)
>> => #f90
>>

>> Now I wonder, is this safe and portable? Or are there
>> other and better ways to do this?
>
> Manipulating the environment is not going to be portable or safe. In

Well, it doesn't have to be. But I understand very well why
its not. :-)

> addition procedure->macro should be deprecated (but appears not to
> be?), and will be removed (necessarily) whenever someone finishes the
> phase separation in the evaluator.

Hope its not going to be. Its a convenient function.

> Is there a special reason to inject a value into the environment
> rather than let binding it?

I'm just playing with making a prettier module system:

(define-namespace bank)

(def-bank sum 0)
(def-bank (inc n)
   (inc! sum n))
(def-bank (dec n)
   (inc sum (- n)))

(bank/inc 50)
(bank/sum)
=> 50

I can also do it by doing a complete source transformations,
replacing sum with bank/sum everywhere and so on, but I would
rather avoid doing that.

Its just for fun.