unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* for those who care about Scheme level structures
@ 2007-07-02 13:09 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2007-07-02 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

I have written a tutorial[1] on Guile's structures
at the Scheme level. I can convert it to TeXinfo
format for inclusion in the Guile docs, but who will
step forward to include it?

[1] <http://community.schemewiki.org/?guile-structures>
--
Marco Maggi

"They say jump!, you say how high?"
Rage Against the Machine - "Bullet in the Head"

* Re: for those who care about Scheme level structures
@ 2007-07-02 20:34 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-07-02 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

"Marco Maggi" <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:

> I have written a tutorial[1] on Guile's structures
> at the Scheme level. I can convert it to TeXinfo
> format for inclusion in the Guile docs, but who will
> step forward to include it?
>
> [1] <http://community.schemewiki.org/?guile-structures>

Looks like a nice document!  And congratulations for getting so far in
understanding Guile's structures!  ;-)

It's a valuable document but more like a tutorial, so I don't think it
belongs in the reference manual.  The `guile-core' module has a
`doc/tutorial' directory but I guess the material in there is largely
outdated.  Nevertheless, it might make sense to revive that tutorial and
put your work on structures in there.  What do you think?

(Besides, I'm in a bit of a hurry these days, and my next Guile duty
will be to take care of 1.8.2...)

Thanks,
Ludovic.

* Re: for those who care about Scheme level structures
@ 2007-07-03  5:21 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2007-07-03  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

"Ludovic Courts" wrote:
> It's a valuable document but more like a tutorial,
> so I don't think it belongs in the reference manual.

If this is the taylor-cut for the manual, fine.

> The `guile-core' module has a `doc/tutorial' directory
> but I guess the material in there is largely outdated.

Only on the C interface.

> Nevertheless, it might make sense to revive that
> tutorial and put your work on structures in there.
> What do you think?

IMHO "guile-tut" should be updated, but not with the
addition of much material. It is better to remove the
unfinished sections and the C interface related
sections, so that it becomes a fast-read introduction
to Guile. It would be easier to maintain it that way.

I can try such a clean up, and propose a document
for review.

If it is fine with you: you can create a "doc/contrib"
directory in which to put monothematic documents. If
there are no problems, I use GNU FDL.

--

@ 2007-07-03 21:47 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2007-07-03 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi,

"Marco Maggi" <marco.maggi-ipsu@poste.it> writes:

> IMHO "guile-tut" should be updated, but not with the
> addition of much material. It is better to remove the
> unfinished sections and the C interface related
> sections, so that it becomes a fast-read introduction
> to Guile. It would be easier to maintain it that way.
>
> I can try such a clean up, and propose a document
> for review.

Yeah, that would be nice.  You'll need to assign copyright to the FSF
for this one, though.

> If it is fine with you: you can create a "doc/contrib"
> directory in which to put monothematic documents. If
> there are no problems, I use GNU FDL.

That'd be fine by me, but I'd like to hear what others think.  Perhaps
we could even make an exception to the copyright assignment rule for a
`contrib' directory.

Thanks,
Ludovic.