unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* [announce] released gee--beta--0.2--base-0
@ 2006-05-17 20:33 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2006-05-17 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Available here:

<http://gna.org/projects/gee>

What is it
----------

Guile Extension Examples is a collection of C language
extensions
for Guile. It offers implementation examples of C shared
libraries
that extend the Scheme language with new features and interfaces
to external libraries.

*WARNING* The building infrastructure only supports the
Linux+GNU
platform and GNU tools.

GEE includes extensions for:

* ASCII armor
* Endianness conversion
* GNU Libgcrypt
* GNU multiple precision arithmetic library (GMP)
* Multiple Precision Floating-Point Reliable library (MPFR)
* Multiple Precision Complex Library (MPC)
* Multiple Precision Floating-Point Interval Library (MPFI)
* GNU Scientific Library (GSL) (early alpha)
* GNU Libiconv
* MHASH, hash algorithms library
* NETTLE, cryptographic library
* Libspopc, simple POP3 client
* OSSP UUID, universally unique identifier library
* Portable Coroutine Library (PCL) (alpha)
* URI, Uniform Resource Identifier parser
* Miscellaneous random numbers generators.

--
Marco Maggi

"They say jump!, you say how high?"
Rage Against the Machine - "Bullet in the Head"

* Re: [announce] released gee--beta--0.2--base-0
@ 2006-05-19 19:30 Marco Maggi
From: Marco Maggi @ 2006-05-19 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ludovic.courtes@laas.fr" wrote:
>but why not publish them independently?

All of them depend on the same (small) library,
the one under the 'lib' subdirectory; additionally:
all the pipe port extensions depend on the same
library (the one under the 'ende' directory), and
that one does not depend on Guile: it can be used
in other C libraries.

In this situation, and being in the early stages of
development, having a single package makes it easy for
me to automatically test all the code at each change
in the common code.

However I'm not sure that 15 packages (with dependeces)
would make it easy for the Guile user.

>For GNU libraries, the bindings could even be
>included upstream I guess, which would be very
>beneficial to Guile users.

Ideally this could happen. And I think that, especially
for some of the (non GNU) math extensions, it would
make testing easier for the upstream develpers, too.

Chi vivrà, vedrà...

>Also, Guile 1.8 uses GMP internally.  Does your
>set of bindings provide additional functionalities

It exposes integer functions not exposed by Guile,
like the number theoretic ones; it also exposes
MPF functions (but I have to review that code).

--
Marco Maggi