unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Python's pdb module
@ 2021-04-30  3:26 Tim Meehan
From: Tim Meehan @ 2021-04-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Is there something in Guile that is similar to Python's "pdb" module?
For instance, sometimes I find it helpful to pause right before something
bad happens with:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import pdb; pdb.set_trace()
some_function_that_is_going_to_fail_miserably()

* Re: Python's pdb module
@ 2021-04-30 11:42 ` Ricardo G. Herdt
From: Ricardo G. Herdt @ 2021-04-30 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

Hi Tim,

Am 30.04.2021 05:26 schrieb Tim Meehan:
> Is there something in Guile that is similar to Python's "pdb" module?
> For instance, sometimes I find it helpful to pause right before
> something
> bad happens with:

you can use the debugging features of the REPL. See:
,help debug

Example:
,break some-function-that-is-going-to-fail-miserably

Related to ,break is ,break-at-source, where you can give the line
number where you want to stop.

You may also find ",trace" useful, it shows all calls to a given
function.

Best,

Ricardo

* Re: Python's pdb module
@ 2021-04-30 13:20 ` Matt Wette
From: Matt Wette @ 2021-04-30 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user

On 4/29/21 8:26 PM, Tim Meehan wrote:
> Is there something in Guile that is similar to Python's "pdb" module?
> For instance, sometimes I find it helpful to pause right before something
> bad happens with:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python3
> import pdb; pdb.set_trace()
> some_function_that_is_going_to_fail_miserably()

I started on something years ago but never got it working as nice as python,
as the guile debugger still needs some help to get there.   Try this
snippet.

(define-syntax-rule (jump-to-debugger)
   (if (eqv? 'regular (vm-engine))
       (give-warning)
       (start-repl
        #:debug (make-debug (stack->vector (make-stack #t)) 0 "trap!" #t))))

You'll need some of this mess to resolve procedures:

(use-modules (system repl repl))
(use-modules (system repl debug))
(use-modules (system repl common))
(use-modules (system repl command))