unofficial mirror of guile-user@gnu.org
* Re: list building and argz_smob
@ 2004-02-09 18:07 Brian S McQueen
From: Brian S McQueen @ 2004-02-09 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wanted to update folks on the results of applying the advice you all
supplied a few weeks back, when I asked about list buildingand about an
argz_smob.

List Building:

I was building an output-list adding data as needed.  cons* was one of the
suggestions of the folks on this list.  Well after implementing this cons*
approach, and gaining some more insight into the functional approach to
programming, I found there was no need for incremental assembling of a
global list.  In fact in the end I didn't even need the cons*.  The
program is much better now.  I eliminated the global list and eliminated
the clumsy list assembly process.  The final result is like this:

     (nop-printer "full_form"
        (list
          (string-append "pref_login=\"" pref-login "\"")
          (if cgi-http-cookie
            (let ((nop-item (cgi:cookie "nop_item")))
              (if nop-item
                (string-append "nop_item=\"" (frobnicate nop-item)
"\"")
                "no_nop_item" ))
             "no_nop_item")
          (check-old-data pref-login)
          (selected-groups pref-login)
          (get-data pref-login)
          (all-groups)
          "devel_name=\"Brian McQueen\""
          "devel_email=\"bqueen@nas.nasa.gov\"" ))

Argz:

This approach obviously produces a SCM list and hands it to a printer.
This is where I had used the argz_smob before.  I had a few db libs around
which used argzs.  After some thinking I found an argz can be treated
exactly like a SCM string, so I eliminated the argz_smob.  Though thats
not all.  I was going through some trouble to join the above SCM list into
a single massive SCM string, creating one massive argz, then the SCM
string containing the argz was passed to the C printer which handled it as
a single argz.  This was a very clumsy and annoying approach, and as you
can see from the above sample, I found a better way to handle the SCM
list.

Turning the list into string was really bad, so I pondered this for a
while and noticed I could use the scm list handlers via calls from the C
world. So I decided to pass the SCM list directly to the C world which
then handles the SCM list, in fact by calling scm_map.  So finally the C
is very simple and it does itz argz handling in a one liner of C code!
It is very simple:

scm_map(
   scm_c_define_gsubr("anon-printer", 1, 0, 0, private_printer),
      argz_list_scm, SCM_EOL);

This one liner goes over each argz in the incoming list and prints it.

Brian

* Re: list building and argz_smob
@ 2004-02-09 18:41 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2004-02-09 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

Brian S McQueen <bqueen@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:
>           (if cgi-http-cookie
>             (let ((nop-item (cgi:cookie "nop_item")))
>               (if nop-item
>                 (string-append "nop_item=\"" (frobnicate nop-item) "\"")
>                 "no_nop_item" ))
>              "no_nop_item")

You might also like:
          (let ((nop-item (and cgi-http-cookie (cgi:cookie "nop_item"))))
            (if nop-item
              (string-append "nop_item=\"" (frobnicate nop-item) "\"")
              "no_nop_item"))

> scm_map(
>    scm_c_define_gsubr("anon-printer", 1, 0, 0, private_printer),
>       argz_list_scm, SCM_EOL);

I don't think you want to use scm_c_define_gsubr here.  This should do
it:
  scm_map(private_printer, argz_list_scm, SCM_EOL);

scm_c_define_gsubr is needed only once, to create the Scheme-visible
binding to the C function, and you might prefer using the SCM_DEFINE
snarfing macro instead of explicitly calling scm_c_Define_gsubr.

paul

* Re: list building and argz_smob
@ 2004-02-09 18:51   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2004-02-09 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

I wrote:
> This should do it:
>   scm_map(private_printer, argz_list_scm, SCM_EOL);

Well, no, that's not quite right, since scm_map expects a SCM value,
and private_printer is a C function.  But you still don't want to use
scm_c_define_gsubr here, if this code will run more than once.  Your
one-time init code can establish the binding, look up the SCM value,
and store that in a global variable, protecting it with
scm_gc_protect_object, and then pass the SCM value in that global
variable to scm_map.

paul

* Re: list building and argz_smob
@ 2004-02-09 19:49   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2004-02-09 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user

   From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
   Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:41:05 -0500

     (let ((nop-item (and cgi-http-cookie (cgi:cookie "nop_item"))))
       (if nop-item
	 (string-append "nop_item=\"" (frobnicate nop-item) "\"")
	 "no_nop_item"))

alternatively:

(or (and=> (and cgi-http-cookie (cgi:cookie "nop_item"))
           (lambda (nop-item)
             (string-append ...)))
    "no_nop_item")

this is similar to: (cond (EXP => (lambda (VAL) ...)) (else DEFAULT))
but slightly less verbose.  i think the code is close to beautiful now;
finishing touch would be to zonk `string-append' somehow.

thi